[SOLVED] what is current gen processor equivalent to i7 4790 both intel & amd

zackalishah

Commendable
Dec 23, 2019
I had i7 4790 which does my current job without problem last week mother board got damaged because of lightning strike nearby & new board cost way more because of unavailability in my country, so i am thinking to buy a new gen processors with mother board & ram rest i have,

Solution
I would not trust a power supply after it's been hit with a lightning strike.

As for the 4790 equivelent, do you mean in performance, or in where it's place in the product stack?
Where it's placed is the same, price wise and relative performance wise, it's an i7.
If you mean in performance, an i3 10100, or ryzen 3 3100 are similar to it in performance.
Same amount of cores and threads (4C, 8T) but since they are newer, they are still faster.
I would not trust a power supply after it's been hit with a lightning strike.

As for the 4790 equivelent, do you mean in performance, or in where it's place in the product stack?
Where it's placed is the same, price wise and relative performance wise, it's an i7.
If you mean in performance, an i3 10100, or ryzen 3 3100 are similar to it in performance.
Same amount of cores and threads (4C, 8T) but since they are newer, they are still faster.

Solution

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
I had i7 4790 which does my current job without problem last week mother board got damaged because of lightning strike nearby & new board cost way more because of unavailability in my country, so i am thinking to buy a new gen processors with mother board & ram rest i have,

Is your graphic card fine? you can buy Ryzen 3 3200G, it has same socket as Ryzen 3 3100, but comes with embedded graphic card and is cheaper.
Slower than 3100 but same as i7 4790

your intel 4790 had built-in GPU -> HD graphics 4600. If you buy Ryzen 3 3100, you'll need a separate GPU.
3200G doesn't need separate GPU to work.

I think siaan312 assumed you have a dedicated graphics card.