[SOLVED] What is die count/Supported CAS #Latencies Supported?

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Is die count a bad thing?

I was thinking about adding another stick of RAM for dual boot and wanted to know if both frequency and CL have to be the same.

What is CL supported latencies? My RAM is CL19 but it says it can support multiple frequencies?

Does this mean I can put in another RAM stick that is CL17 or CL20 to dual boot with my CL19?

https://prnt.sc/1tuilln

Solution
The other one lists different ranks, seems like they would just grab what is available and send it.

The pictures are all renders, so no real images there.

I'm usually a full bore manual overclock kind of person, but if you want to keep the temperatures down in a laptop your existing method is probably better. Thermal throttling is much worse on a smooth gaming experience than having the clock bounce up and down with demand.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I assume you mean dual channel.

Ram must all run at the same speed. So if you installed a C17 kit it would have to run at C19, or you would have to overclock the other memory. Being a laptop, you probably don't want to try messing with that.

Ideally, find a memory stick identical to what you have. Or replace both sticks with a new set.

Pretty much all latencies are supported. Probably track down CL12-2666Mhz with really tight timings if you wanted.

If you are unsure, head over to Crucial.com and use their memory selector. You can put in your exact model of laptop, and they will offer compatible parts from their offerings. You can then shop for memory with the same specifications, or just buy theirs.

Reactions: ShangWang

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Probably track down CL12-2666Mhz with really tight timings if you wanted.
Nah, it's fine I just want to buy a RAM stick that matches mine.
As long as they are both 1RX8, 2666MHz at 19 clocks they are compatible with no stability issues?

Just curious, my Kingston is 1RX8 but it looks like it only has 4 chips instead of 8 compared to the other one. Shouldn't be an issue?

Mine: https://prnt.sc/1tv1osd
Crucial: https://prnt.sc/1tv1rzs
So if you installed a C17 kit it would have to run at C19,
I see, so what you're saying is different CAS are compatible but the faster one will have to slow down to match the other.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
In most cases that should not be an issue. Best to load up CPU-Z, get the exact memory model, and shop around for another Kingston stick.

There is no 100% guarantee when mixing old and new memory. Chances are good it will work just fine, but dual channel memory is sold in matched kits that are tested together.

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
So if you installed a C17 kit it would have to run at C19,
In most cases that should not be an issue. Best to load up CPU-Z, get the exact memory model, and shop around for another Kingston stick.

There is no 100% guarantee when mixing old and new memory. Chances are good it will work just fine, but dual channel memory is sold in matched kits that are tested together.
I have the exact model name: Kingston 8GB DDR4 2666MHz 1Rx8 PC4-21300 ACR26D4S9S8ME-8

The closest thing I could find was this: Kingston 8GB DDR4 2666MHz SODIMM (KCP426SS8/8) : Amazon.ca: Electronics

Although in general any similar stick of RAM should be fine I believe.
What I'm wondering is why the Kingston RAM looks like it only has 4 chips where it says it's clearly 1RX8. Maybe this is just because of design?

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Die count should be the count of the chips, that might just not be reading correctly.

Both renders, so not actual pictures of the chips.

Single rank should be 8 chips on a single side, or possibly 4 on each side. Double rank would be 8 chips on each side.

Dual channel memory generally works fine with one or the other. Mixing them may result in half the memory being in single channel mode, but 2/3s would be in dual channel. Assuming the board supports that.

Generally it matters more when you have more than two slots. For example SS(4GB) + SS(4GB) + DS(8GB) is a perfectly workable dual channel configuration.

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Die count should be the count of the chips, that might just not be reading correctly.

Both renders, so not actual pictures of the chips.

Single rank should be 8 chips on a single side, or possibly 4 on each side. Double rank would be 8 chips on each side.

Dual channel memory generally works fine with one or the other. Mixing them may result in half the memory being in single channel mode, but 2/3s would be in dual channel. Assuming the board supports that.

Generally it matters more when you have more than two slots. For example SS(4GB) + SS(4GB) + DS(8GB) is a perfectly workable dual channel configuration.
I see, I believe the 8GB and 8GB single rank option should be the same but they differ in name slightly when you choose on amazon.

8GB one: Crucial RAM 8GB DDR4 2666 MHz CL19 Laptop Memory CT8G4SFRA266

8GB Single rank one: Crucial 8GB Single DDR4 2666 MT/s (PC4-21300) SR X8 SODIMM 260-Pin Memory - CT8G4SFS8266

Generally they are both the exact same and doesn't matter which I choose for my system?

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
You should get the single rank one to match your existing single rank stick. Still no guarantee those different speeds will mix. They might both default to 2133, which would be fine.
I'm sure both are single rank since they have the same picture and are 1RX8 but the names are slightly different because of what system they're meant for probably.

Sorry this is off topic but I'm also wondering if there any point in making the max processor state to 99% on laptop.

I heard this can fix some stuttering issues but all it really does essentially is disable turbo boost. I do use turbo boost for more demanding games at a capped ratio limit to reduce temperature and it works.

Should I still leave it at 99% for when not using turbo?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The other one lists different ranks, seems like they would just grab what is available and send it.

I'm usually a full bore manual overclock kind of person, but if you want to keep the temperatures down in a laptop your existing method is probably better. Thermal throttling is much worse on a smooth gaming experience than having the clock bounce up and down with demand.

Solution

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021

Hello again, I checked apparently there are 4 chips on the front and back despite being 1RX8. Not sure why it was designed that way.

I was checking hwinfo and found that the max speed is only half of what it should be: https://prnt.sc/1u4gr8n

I think this is something along the lines of "DDR" or something like that but I'm not sure. Would you possibly have the explanation for this?

Task manager does indiciate the speed is 2667mhz.
https://prnt.sc/1u4gvyi

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, the frequency is half the marketed value. Double data rate, the memory communicates on the up and down of its clock cycle, so double data rate. (notice they tend to leave the Mhz off the larger number, but sometimes people making sales advertisements forget)

8 chips = single rank
16 chips = double rank

Quite common for cheap desktop ram to have 8 chips on one side. Laptop memory has pretty strict size limits, so single rank is pretty common to save on the more expensive PCB required to cram 16 chips on a stick.

Two single rank modules gives you double rank, which you need for dual channel.

A single dual rank is only on one memory channel, but doubling that gets you 2 x 2 banks, which can be run in dual channel.

Slot 1 is Channel A
Slot 2 is Channel B

On a desktop with four slots you would see something like

Slot A1, B1, A2, B2

I bring this up because the memory controller in a laptop is the same as the desktop. They don't have to provide 4 slots, but they could, or 8, or 16, and still offer dual channel. But that is expensive. Larger systems that support quad, hex, and eight channel memory is just more of the same, and supported configurations get even more complex.

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Yes, the frequency is half the marketed value. Double data rate, the memory communicates on the up and down of its clock cycle, so double data rate. (notice they tend to leave the Mhz off the larger number, but sometimes people making sales advertisements forget)

8 chips = single rank
16 chips = double rank

Quite common for cheap desktop ram to have 8 chips on one side. Laptop memory has pretty strict size limits, so single rank is pretty common to save on the more expensive PCB required to cram 16 chips on a stick.

Two single rank modules gives you double rank, which you need for dual channel.

A single dual rank is only on one memory channel, but doubling that gets you 2 x 2 banks, which can be run in dual channel.

Slot 1 is Channel A
Slot 2 is Channel B

On a desktop with four slots you would see something like

Slot A1, B1, A2, B2

I bring this up because the memory controller in a laptop is the same as the desktop. They don't have to provide 4 slots, but they could, or 8, or 16, and still offer dual channel. But that is expensive. Larger systems that support quad, hex, and eight channel memory is just more of the same, and supported configurations get even more complex.
I see, so in reality my RAM runs at 1333mhz and requires another single rank RAM module to be dual channeled to actually be 2667mhz? All single rank modules will actually run at half speed by themselves?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I see, so in reality my RAM runs at 1333mhz and requires another single rank RAM module to be dual channeled to actually be 2667mhz? All single rank modules will actually run at half speed?

No. The memory clock is running at 1333Mhz, the memory speed is 2667Mhz. Two bits per cycle.

Two memory banks on two memory channels is the minimum for dual channel memory to be enabled. A memory bank is a logical concept that can be accomplished multiple ways physically.

In a laptop there are generally only two slots, so you are limited when it comes to creating a proper dual channel configuration. In your case, you have a single ranked memory stick. It is currently on a single channel acting as a single memory bank. To get dual channel working, you need to add a second bank on a second channel. Most effective way is to get another single rank memory stick.