[SOLVED] What is DisplayPort Input for?

Astralv

Distinguished
Hey there

I am building workstation with Intel I9 and need Z690 Motherboard, I prefer Asus. The build is for video editing. I must have Thunderbolt for my Audio interfaces. I preordered
ASUS ProArt Z690-CREATOR WIFI LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...19h0_m0aay0_proart_z690_creator_wifi_lga.html

and already paid for it because it was marketed for content creators.

I am concerned that this motherboard will not become available any time soon. Newegg not even planning to make it available.

The only other Motherboard by Asus that carrying Thunderbolt is Hero. I was very tempted to buy it when it became available around Thanksgiving. BUT: it is $100 more, it has ROG Hyper M.2 card and if reading details, the M2 ports all get disabled conditionally.

Now ProArt has 2X Display Port INPUT, and it says "For Thunderbolt". What di they mean "For Thunderbolt"? Isn't Thunderbolt already 2 way in and out communication- why would I need DP INPUT? The Hero MoBo has HDMI out in case I want to connect monitor without graphic card. I am confused- does it means that ProArt has no Monitor connection, if Display Port Input Only? Thank you.

This is what I dont like about Hero:
When ROG Hyper M.2 card is installed on PCIEX16(G5)_1, Hyper M.2_1 slot can support PCIe 4.0 x4 mode. When ROG Hyper M.2 card is installed on PCIEX16(G5)_2, Hyper M.2_1 slot can support PCIe 5.0 x4 mode. When ROG Hyper M.2 card is installed on PCIEX16(G4), Hyper M.2_1 and Hyper M.2_2 slots can support PCIe 4.0 x4 mode.
**** When ROG Hyper M.2 card is installed on PCIEX16(G5)_1 or PCIEX16(G5)_2, Hyper M.2_2 slot will be disabled. When ROG Hyper M.2 card is installed on PCIEX16(G4), Hyper M.2_1 and Hyper M.2_2 slots can support PCIe 4.0 x4 mode.
https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-z690-hero-model/spec

Solution
Ok, I thought Thunderbolt CAN be used for displays without any additional Inputs.

I just was selected for NewEgg Shuffle and I bought EVGA 3070TI without looking at output ports. I could not afford professional NVidia for video editing, so I bought gaming card and it has 3 DP posts and 1 HDMI. I have 2X 4K monitors that support DP, Mini DP and HDMI, no Thunderbolt. So looks like I will be connecting video via DP from my 3070TI to monitor.

IF I bought ProArt Creator, how would I use Thunderbolt and Display Port Inputs? Also what does it means- data only for Thunderbolt? I currently have Kaby Lake build with Asus Hero and add on Thunderbolt card, and my Audio interface connects to that Thunderbolt card, no Display Port involved...

Astralv

Distinguished
Ok, I thought Thunderbolt CAN be used for displays without any additional Inputs.

I just was selected for NewEgg Shuffle and I bought EVGA 3070TI without looking at output ports. I could not afford professional NVidia for video editing, so I bought gaming card and it has 3 DP posts and 1 HDMI. I have 2X 4K monitors that support DP, Mini DP and HDMI, no Thunderbolt. So looks like I will be connecting video via DP from my 3070TI to monitor.

IF I bought ProArt Creator, how would I use Thunderbolt and Display Port Inputs? Also what does it means- data only for Thunderbolt? I currently have Kaby Lake build with Asus Hero and add on Thunderbolt card, and my Audio interface connects to that Thunderbolt card, no Display Port involved. (Also audio interface Thunderboolt 2 to 3 adopter). I need to connect that audio interface to Thunderbolt 4. So will new Z690 Hero support my audio interface? Do I need Display Port for anything? Thank you.

IF I bought ProArt Creator, how would I use Thunderbolt and Display Port Inputs? Also what does it means- data only for Thunderbolt? I currently have Kaby Lake build with Asus Hero and add on Thunderbolt card, and my Audio interface connects to that Thunderbolt card, no Display Port involved. (Also audio interface Thunderboolt 2 to 3 adopter). I need to connect that audio interface to Thunderbolt 4. So will new Z690 Hero support my audio interface? Do I need Display Port for anything? Thank you.
thunderbolt is data port connected to pci express, it doesnt have any graphic capability on its own, it has to be hooked up with GPU to get display port capability from it
on notebooks its easy...they just hardwire it, but on PCs where not every CPUs got integrated graphics it has to get display port somehow

Solution
Thank you. Still confusing. So you saying that Asus Rog Hero MoBo offers Thunderbolt without Display Input and nobody knows that it will not work for video displays? Do they offer it for DATA only?
for that asus hero
2 x Intel® Thunderbolt™ 4 ports (USB Type-C®) support DisplayPort
1.4 and Thunderbolt™ video outputs
* Graphics specifications may vary between CPU types. Please refer to
www.intel.com for any updates
its hooked to CPU graphics
so if you get CPU without integrated graphics, no display port in thunderbolt

Astralv

Distinguished
Thank you for your replies and forgive me my ignorance, but what does it means when it hooked up to CPU graphics? This would only matter if I did not have dedicated graphics card, right?

Let's say I bought Hero. I will be using it with Intel Core i9-12900K - Core i9 12th Gen Alder Lake 16-Core (8P+8E) 3.2 GHz LGA 1700 125W Intel UHD Graphics 770 Desktop Processor

It has Integrated Graphics Intel UHD Graphics 770 and it says it supports Thunderbolt. So you saying with Hero MoBo, Thunderbolt hooked to this Intel UHD Graphics 770 if I connect my Monitors to Thunderbolt output? (Can I even connect Monitor with Display port to Thunderbolt- is there adopter I would need?)

And what about ProArt? What's the difference? ProArt has physical Thunderbolt and Display Post Inputs. If I didn't have dedicated GPU, then I would connect my DP Monitors to what?

And if I do have 3070 GPU, are you saying I would need to run cable from GPU out to Display Port INPUT on ProArt, but not on Hero?

Thank you again.