[SOLVED] What is enough to undervolt for temps?

Nofalpro

Reputable
Dec 2, 2016
I have a gaming laptop with i7-9750H CPU and I cant play any game without the CPU hitting 90C (bad thermal pasting) like 5 min after gameplay with fans at 100%. A laptop cooling pad is efficient for like 5 degrees and sometimes it just doesn't work.

I downloaded ThrottleStop to undervolt the CPU. However, I only used the offset voltage slider and didn't uncheck the "BD PROCHOT" or check the speed shift. I just went into FIVR and changed the offset voltage. It worked till -125mv and game crashed, I think from the CPU going into turbo boost.

What should be my settings to limit the CPU frequency from 4 ghz to say 3.5ghz at turbo boost with throttle stop as decreasing the offset voltage isn't decreasing the frequency ?

Reactions: Psycho1983
Solution
Have you used any software to check the undervolting has applied? Some laptops have new BIOS versions to address Intel security issues and a side effect is loosing the ability to undervolting. Throttlestop says you have undervolted but it’s not applied to the cpu.

Are you undervolting both CPU core and CPU cache by the same offset voltage? You should be.

Ive got my 9750h undervolted by 150.4mv on both core and cache. You can also try turbo ratio limits, try 5 core @ 37 and 6 core @ 36.

You are luck if a cooling pad makes a 5c difference. The one I tried on recommendation made a huge 1c difference under stress testing.
Have you used any software to check the undervolting has applied? Some laptops have new BIOS versions to address Intel security issues and a side effect is loosing the ability to undervolting. Throttlestop says you have undervolted but it’s not applied to the cpu.

Are you undervolting both CPU core and CPU cache by the same offset voltage? You should be.

Ive got my 9750h undervolted by 150.4mv on both core and cache. You can also try turbo ratio limits, try 5 core @ 37 and 6 core @ 36.

You are luck if a cooling pad makes a 5c difference. The one I tried on recommendation made a huge 1c difference under stress testing.

Solution

Nofalpro

Reputable
Dec 2, 2016

I am using ASUS armoury crate to check the voltage on the CPU. The dashboard shows voltage at around 1200mv and when i use throttlestop it does decrease by the offset. Should I be using something else ?

I'll go ahead and try turbo ration limits. do I need to change anything else to get better temps ?

Nofalpro

Reputable
Dec 2, 2016
That’s about it for settings in Throttlestop. I haven’t gone this far yet with my Dell G5 but some people are changing the thermal paste on their laptop and some of these people see an improvement of 5c or more.
I changed the turbo ratio limits on all cores and everything was great for 2 hours with ~15C difference @3.6GHz then i got a BSOD, I guess i need to do some tests to find the sweet spot.