[SOLVED] What is factory over clocking? What 2060super do I buy

Boris12341

Prominent
May 24, 2020
Hello. I am building a pc with the R7 3700x and a 2060 super. I don’t know which 2060 super to buy. My top pick is the Gigabyte Gaming OC 3x fans. I can also get the FE. My budget is $420 max. But the other thing is, what is factory OC? Will it hurt my gpu life? Can I underclock to whatever I want? This is my first time building so please help me.

Solution
1)Factory OC: already overclocked for you out of the box. There won't be as much headroom to push it further if you choose to do so.
2)Ehh, it'll become obsolete long before that.
3)Just lower the power limit. The gpu will dynamically adjust for that setting.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Factory OC: already overclocked for you out of the box. There won't be as much headroom to push it further if you choose to do so.

Solution

Boris12341

Prominent
May 24, 2020
So is there a disadvantage to Factory OC? And do you think this card is good?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)None really, but Nvidia's Gpu Boost algorithm does reduce the effectiveness of OC'ing.
Gpu Boost already boosts, or auto OCs, the core clock depending on power and thermal headroom. It doesn't touch the memory clock though, so tinkering with that is more worthwhile.

2)Looks pretty good to me. Remember to set your own fan curve, as the fans can get loud; these are some 3000rpm fans after all.

Boris12341

Prominent
May 24, 2020
1)None really, but Nvidia's Gpu Boost algorithm does reduce the effectiveness of OC'ing.
Gpu Boost already boosts, or auto OCs, the core clock depending on power and thermal headroom. It doesn't touch the memory clock though, so tinkering with that is more worthwhile.

2)Looks pretty good to me. Remember to set your own fan curve, as the fans can get loud; these are some 3000rpm fans after all.
Wow thanks. I am a bit confused. This is my first build so just to clarify:
Is this factory oc card good? Should I go with a different one that you reccomend? And factory oc is not going to hurt my PC?

thanks very much
😀😀

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
generally the factory oc'ed cards cost more. if you are going to tune it down, why not save money and get a cheaper card that is not oc'ed out of the box? they tend to be cheaper and you won't really notice any difference in performance.

unless that nice oc'ed card is on sale or something, then by all means go for it :)

Boris12341

Prominent
May 24, 2020
generally the factory oc'ed cards cost more. if you are going to tune it down, why not save money and get a cheaper card that is not oc'ed out of the box? they tend to be cheaper and you won't really notice any difference in performance.

unless that nice oc'ed card is on sale or something, then by all means go for it :)
Thanks