[SOLVED] What is going on with my build?

Cyrisk

Prominent
Dec 3, 2019
I built my first PC a few months ago. Ran into some issues but had been running smoothly for a while. Recently whenever I run a game it will randomly freeze and crash, and turn off and back on. When it turns back on there's no signal to the Mobo. The fans are on and spin faster, the gpu fans try but don't spin when it turns back on. And the DRAM light is on in the Mobo. The only I way I get signal back to the monitor is when I restart the computer.
Might the issue be incompatible ram?
I tried doing my own research and found that my specific ram wasn't on the mobo QVL list but I wonder if it's maybe something other than that as well?

Asus tuf gaming x570 plus wifi
Ryzen 3900x
2x16gb 3200mhz vengeance rgb pro
Msi gaming trio 2080ti

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated

Solution
the long press power button is powering off the PSU. just like as if you had unplugged the PSU.
next time try that, do not press the power button, but unplug the PSU from the wall, give it 30 and plug it in again and try again. is it acting the same?
that is a great PSU but since the unit is forcing a reboot of the PSU to boot, it may the the culprit, lets clear that first.
do you have another PSU you could access to swap out. other system will test your PSU and your system will be tested by their PSU. if the same thing happens the PSU is not the issue.

Cyrisk

Prominent
Dec 3, 2019
the QVL is a guideline mostly, if you had it running stably, the crash is not because the RAM isn't on the QVL.
restart computer? exactly how are you restarting? please elaborate.
what is your PSU make model and age?
I'm restarting through the restart button or holding down the power button until everything shuts off, I give it 30 seconds and just turn it on again.
I have a Corsair Rmx 850 (2018) as my power supply

Last edited:

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the long press power button is powering off the PSU. just like as if you had unplugged the PSU.
next time try that, do not press the power button, but unplug the PSU from the wall, give it 30 and plug it in again and try again. is it acting the same?
that is a great PSU but since the unit is forcing a reboot of the PSU to boot, it may the the culprit, lets clear that first.
do you have another PSU you could access to swap out. other system will test your PSU and your system will be tested by their PSU. if the same thing happens the PSU is not the issue.

Reactions: Cyrisk
Solution

Cyrisk

Prominent
Dec 3, 2019
As soon as I get the chance I will borrow a friend's psu to swap out and test. Is there any chance this is just a temperature issue such as not having the fan settings correctly or not seating the AIO cooler correctly?

Cyrisk

Prominent
Dec 3, 2019
have you checked the temps with HWmonitor or similar? did any increase before the event?
I was checking temps using hw and afterburner for the 2080ti
The CPU temps were fine but I noticed the gpu was a little high just from running cod warzone. It was around 79c. The CPU temps looked fine throughout.
I did notice one fan one the gpu wasn't spinning but was trying to, and I realized something was blocking it, so I moved it around and now it sounds, and I changed the fan curve to start at a lower temp and now when I played it hovered around 73 or 74c.
I ran another game and it was around the same but it started going up a degree around every 15 minutes. Like I said before I'm new to computers so I'm not sure if that's normal temp or even a normal increase

When idle the CPU was around mid 40s and the gpu was around 50 I think. Also noticed the voltage is around 1.45 but jumps a little higher up, don't know if that's normal either