Question What is happening with my display ?

Nov 21, 2022
Hello! I have a dual monitor setup and my screen has a crazy amount of lines on it, extending to having a little bit on my secondary monitor as well. I will attach a video so you can see. I need help figuring out if it’s my gpu or what.

Parts:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x
RAM: 16gb
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X AM4
GPU: RTX 2060 Super (MSI) 4095mb
STORAGE: 2tb Seagate ST2000Dm008-2FR102
111Gb ssd

Background on my issue: I’ve had this for awhile, but very small and only on PC startup. As you can see there are lines on the secondary monitor flickering at the end of the video. It used to do this at the bottom, and only when I freshly booted up my PC. Usually would go away after a few minutes and never happened until I turn it back on. It seems to be worse the longer I have my computer turned off. I also noticed on video games I play I often times would get like lag almost. No fps drops really but it was almost like I was lagging or having screen tearing (was not actual screen tearing though). It is hard to describe what was happening but i tried switching making my other monitor my main one and it continued to do it while gaming/have the weird lines on start up.

I’ve been gone for 2 months and needed a family member to start my pc, and this is what they saw. A worse version of what would normally happen to me. It has been many hours and the screen is still like this.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure about the circumstances. Has the system been off/unused for two months?

Are you at home now or just having a family member turn on the computer for you to gain remote access?

Someone needs to be able to go "hands on" for further troubleshooting. Is that possible if you are not home?

Even with only one apparently working monitor are you able to log in remotely?

= = = =

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Verify that all cards and connectors, cables etc. are fully and firmly in place.

Check and ensure that Windows is fully up to date.

Likewise, check for, and update the applicable GPU drivers. Manually download via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure. No third party tools or utilities.

Nov 21, 2022
Not sure about the circumstances. Has the system been off/unused for two months?

Are you at home now or just having a family member turn on the computer for you to gain remote access?

Someone needs to be able to go "hands on" for further troubleshooting. Is that possible if you are not home?

Even with only one apparently working monitor are you able to log in remotely?

= = = =

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Verify that all cards and connectors, cables etc. are fully and firmly in place.

Check and ensure that Windows is fully up to date.

Likewise, check for, and update the applicable GPU drivers. Manually download via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure. No third party tools or utilities.

I updated and added my parts on the main post.

Everything has always been connected well, I checked before when I was noticing it. And i always was updating drivers ,windows ,etc. while I noticed that this was happening (to a lesser extent though) whenever I booted up my PC.

Yes, it has been off and unused for 2 months

I can try to get my family to help me get more hands on, if not, i will have to wait until I'm home in less than 2 weeks.

Ralston18

Titan
Is that 111Gb ssd the boot drive C: ?

In any case, how full?

If the PC has been off for two months my thought is that there was a long list of updates to be installed.

When the PC was again turned on those updates started loading and installing themselves....

Updates being OS, drivers, apps. Some updates may have, without user intervention, reverted to default settings.

One or more could have been corrupted or buggy. And perhaps made all the worse if the 111Gb SSD was low on space or there were communication problems during the downloads. Much can go wrong.

= = = =

It can be quite difficult (as you probably know) to long distance walk someone through any steps needed to troubleshoot and fix things.

Possibly all the more so if some updates have changed screens and options.

May be a bit easier if Facetime, Zoom, etc. can be used so you can actually see the PC's monitor screen and what appears.

No harm (subjective) in giving it a try if you are willing to risk some misstep that makes the situation worse. Worse being loss of data.

Try a walk through with a family member willing to help, is as knowledgeable as possible, and has lots of patience. Allow plenty of time if possible.

If the attempt does not go well then stop and wait the two weeks.

Nov 21, 2022
Thank you for the reply. I think i will have to wait the 10 days and look into it myself. I appreciate your feedback.
These are definitely possibilities, part of me thinks it is something else because of how i have seen those lines for awhile (on pc fresh boot), but now it is way more present as I've been away. Before i always had things updated and it still did it. You could be right, but just the fact i have seen a lesser extent of the problem consistently in the past, makes me think it is something else. Also with the weird looks on my screen while gaming.

TRENDING THREADS