What is it with all the Phenom "sucks" responses....

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

keithlm

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007

and a henway. You forgot the henway.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

TC I see that you are back to your old shenanigans again keep up the good work. :kaola:

You do realize you just denounced all benchmarks on a hardware enthusiast site that has built its following by having great charts that display results of... you guessed it... BENCHMARKS!

PS - I love you Caamsa!

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

Hey Mr. Smarty pants it's reciprocal, ying and yang etc. So I am right from my relative assessment. Just like you think that you are right..........get it? Didn't think so.................... :pt1cable:

Read the title of the post and you will see that my posted opinion is right on where your post has nothing to do with the titled post, so you are a bad boy............

Please try to stay on topic next time. :kaola:

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

...and DB. :lol:

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

I sure can when gaming, my eyes are sensitive to frame rates changes. If there was a graphics card that was $300 more than a competing graphics card and the one that cost $300 more had 20fps more I would spend the extra money in a heartbeat.

JonnyRock

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2004

You had to drag chicken into this didn't you..... :bounce: :D :lol:
Chicken aint going to be happy about this..... :pt1cable: :lol: :kaola:

rallyimprezive

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007

Hmmmm.... :eek:

O, I got it. It is on topic. Your frustrations about people saying that the AMD "sucks" is a subjective statement, based on their needs. So my post is on topic because it deals with concepts of perception......

yea so there! :kaola:

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

Yes but whose perceptions are you talking about? It is all subjective.

"I see said the blind man to his deaf son"

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

I love to denounce benchies......actually I think I am right on.

Think about it. Benchmarks are only relative to the person who is running them. People made up all this crap to show how fast this does that etc. But in nature benchmarking does not exist. Therefore benchmarking is illogical. It serves no purpose in nature. It is no more than some unnatural fetish of the human condition.

rallyimprezive

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007

Yea yea.

So this whole thread is usless.

There is a smiley on other forums...its a lil head banging against a brick wall. We need that one here.

Fun debate. Im goin home now.

JonnyRock

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2004

I think i am starting to like this guy..............I think :whistle: :kaola: :heink:

So what are your views on inbreeding Caamsa? :bounce: :ouch: :pfff:

rhan143l.jpg

harna

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
The purpose of benchmarks is basically to show, potentially, the fastest product in the category, but primarily it is more important in showing what you don't need. I.e. you don't need to pay for a C2D to do the things you love to do, you can save some money and buy an AMD X2.

Now if I owned a older system, thereby I mean a non-64 bit apparatus, then upgrading to a phenom will be just dandy, same or better speed plus four cores to boot. How can you loose?

Nice if we left the benchmarks on the site they were posted rather than drag them into the forum, but since they're here you will notice that way way cheaper cpu's than the latest Intel offerings can do just a fine job.

30 minutes more for a phenom to encode a DVD, well I'm sure the movie industry will love you for it. If I am going to take the trouble on such a large project as this I want quality in the end product and a stable machine to do it. Speed is only a distant secondary objective.

Components are warranted to run at a designated speed and the rest is pot luck. If you can get a C2D rated at 1.8GHz to run at 3.2, that's great, but don't expect it to keep doing it as that stress is continual and adds not only heat to the cpu, but heat stresses the rest of the system as well. Add to this the extra cost, risk, power consumption and extra cooling requirements, and very quickly OCing becomes a very poor investment in time and money for very little if any long term gain. Short term bragging rights only. Does the machine run stable at that speed continually? For example in Canada with sub-zero temps in winter is a lot different environment than an Australian summer of sustained 100 F.

My opinion is this, if you have a new rig and need to OC at time of purchase you have simply under invested for your needs. If you have the desire, the insatiable need to explore the limits of your parts, do it by all means, post it and impress us, but don't bag out the other guy, because he/she has found merit in a different formula. Remember it's because there are so many different roads to go down that make this industry such an interesting one.

martyjs

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
I'm siding with the people who don't care about O'c or benchmarks. As people can see from my sig. I've been playing with, and/or building PC for a long time. I am 100% an enthusiast. :)
I get very annoyed every time I here some nong say things like "If you don't benchmark, buy latest and greatest or OC your not an enthusiast" :fou: :fou: :fou: (Please note that is not a direct quote rather an overview of what people say)

I do use benchmarks but only as a guide for my customers. For my self I usually look and the value for money verse performance ratings. :)

sparky79

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007

Maybe its that some of us have been waiting for something higher then 3ghz and we know that duos and quads are capable of it. I am currently running a q6600 at 3.4ghz and an e8400 at 3.6ghz and both are at stock volts. I do alot of encoding and ripping and faster is better, show me where I can get those speeds today on the market? (and dont tell me PD!) :non:

martyjs

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
There's probably more than you realise. :eek:
Have you read every thread on every subject? :)
Lots of subject and treads that never mention OC or benchmarking. :eek:

thefumigator

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2005
The intels are better as they oc naturally, but still, it can be tricky to achieve good oc as you need to raise the bus of your mobo, and know what you are doing.

At stock, no one posted where Phenom shines, Studio 11 and H264 benchmarks.

Still there aren't any multitasking efficiency benchmarks, with that kind of testing we could see if the AMD basis has future and can push the design further...

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

I read ALL of the threads.

In the OC section.

TRENDING THREADS