what is ivy bridge and sandy bridge and haswell?

kratosbellic

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
I am goind to buy i5 3570k lga1155 with some z77 mobo, so I wanted to know what is this ivy bridge that my i5 will have and which is a successor of sandy bridge

another thing is that, if I buy z68 mobo, will it not work with my processor
lastly, what is haswell that everyone is talking about and which will replace ivy bridge

will I be able to upgrade my processor in future(maybe 2 years later) or will have to buy a new mobo bcoz z77 supports only lga1155 or ivy bridge
please explain in simple language

Solution

Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, and Haswell are processor architecture names that Intel uses. Sandy Bridge is a 32nm architecture that was first introduced for the LGA 1155 socket. Ivy Bridge is Sandy Bridge's successor, and is a die shrink of the Sandy Bridge architecture with a newer integrated graphics component. Haswell is the upcoming replacement for Ivy Bridge. It is still...
Ivy bridge, Sandy Bridge, and Haswell are code names for a series of cpus. The current generation of Intel cpus is ivy bridge; sandy bridge is the previous generation; haswell will be the next generation. Ivy bridge will be the last cpu on the LGA 1155 socket so no, you will not be able to upgrade your cpu in a couple years if you want to keep the same motherboard. A Z68 mobo will work with an ivy bridge cpu, but it might need a bios update first, which would require a sandy bridge cpu.

Now, I think I answered all of our questions. If you give us a store/budget we can pick a good motherboard, RAM, HSF, etc to give with your 3570k.

Snitchables

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
Sandy bridge, Ivy bridge and Haswell are architectures, it's basicly just how the CPU's are designed, this doesn't mean much to the average Joe, however the Ivy bridge runs a little bit more efficently than sandy bridge, due to it being the newer generation, however it runs a little hotter. Haswell is the newest architecture that Intel is working on, it will be released in a month or so.

Hope this helps.

kratosbellic

Distinguished
May 6, 2011

so I will have to buy a new mobo, in future to upgrade my processor

ashesofempires04

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011

Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, and Haswell are processor architecture names that Intel uses. Sandy Bridge is a 32nm architecture that was first introduced for the LGA 1155 socket. Ivy Bridge is Sandy Bridge's successor, and is a die shrink of the Sandy Bridge architecture with a newer integrated graphics component. Haswell is the upcoming replacement for Ivy Bridge. It is still based on the 22nm process but has a newer architecture and integrated graphics. It uses a new LGA 1150 socket.

Ivy Bridge processors are designed around the 7-series chipsets, while Sandy Bridge uses the 6-series. Having said that, it is possible to use an Ivy Bridge CPU in a 6-series motherboard such as the z68 after a bios flash. If you aren't very confident in your technical skills I would not recommend it. The z77 chipset is more advanced, allowing for PCI-e 3.0 based graphics cards, unlike z68 which still uses PCI-e 2.0. It also supports some newer technologies not available in z68 motherboards.

Solution

doxtor

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013
intel is about to launch their 4th generation of cpu's so it will be fine to wait their new processors came out & rush the prices of third & second generation of cpu's )

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011

Yes, you will. Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge both use LGA 1155. Haswell will be using LGA 1150, so in order to upgrade you will have to buy a new motherboard.

Sandy Bridge (2nd gen) and Ivy Bridge (3rd gen) are both socket 1155 CPUs. Assuming the same clockspeed, Ivy Bridge offers on average 6% more performance than Sandy Bridge. It also consumes a little less power, but does not overclock as well due to less efficient transfer of heat compared to Sandy Bridge. There are a lot of other minor improvements as well, but not really relevant from a gaming perspective. Lastly, the biggest improvement is in the integrated graphics core. The Intel HD 4000 is on average 35% more powerful than the Intel HD 3000. However, it is still weak since it is only almost as powerful as a Radeon HD 5550 graphics card.

Haswell is going to be socket 1150 and it will not be compatible with socket 1155. Preliminary benchmark suggests an average of almost 10% increase in performance over Ivy Bridge at the same clock speed. The upcoming Intel HD 4600 is estimated to be about 20% more powerful than the Intel HD 4000. Power consumption will be further reduced. Broadwell is Haswell's successor and it will be released next year... to early to speculate.

Skylake / Skymont will be released in 2015 / 2016 and will introduce a new socket.