[SOLVED] what is KDE and Gnome?

aden.anderson2001

Reputable
Aug 26, 2018
Hello. I'm a windows 10 user and into theming. I basically use things like Rainmeter and themes for UltraUX to customize the looks on my windows. But today i encountered these two...things called KDE and gnome and despite reading like 10 articles about them I still don't understand what they do. I saw a video on YouTube about how to install KDE. In that video the guy simply just made the KDE files bootable using Rufus and booted it on his pc and then installed it like he was installing an OS. I don't get it, is KDE or gnome some kind of an OS separate from windows or some kind of a graphical modification? Like if i do this thing, will i still be able to use my computer normally like seeing the same files and apps I had before the installation?

Please explain this in simple words i don't really understand it in technical terms.

Solution
D
They run on Linux they are the shell the desktop shell. Like explorer is your desktop shell for windows

You cannot run them on windows you need Linux
D

Deleted member 14196

They run on Linux they are the shell the desktop shell. Like explorer is your desktop shell for windows

You cannot run them on windows you need Linux

Reactions: aden.anderson2001
Solution

aden.anderson2001

Reputable
Aug 26, 2018
Yes I am familiar with shells and I don’t like them in windows except for the default and for Linux I like KDE the best
Thanks to you I found out what shells are. Yes I didn't know what they were lol. I found like 2 shells which work for windows 10, Cairo and classic shell. But, didn't like them, I guess I'm coming to know why you don't like other shells than windows default. Are there any other alternatives for these kinds of big changes to ui? Also are there any other shells you could recommend other than the two mentioned?

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks to you I found out what shells are. Yes I didn't know what they were lol. I found like 2 shells which work for windows 10, Cairo and classic shell. But, didn't like them, I guess I'm coming to know why you don't like other shells than windows default. Are there any other alternatives for these kinds of big changes to ui? Also are there any other shells you could recommend other than the two mentioned?
What parts of the default Windows interface are you looking to "change"?

aden.anderson2001

Reputable
Aug 26, 2018
What parts of the default Windows interface are you looking to "change"?
Everything almost. The whole windows explorer look, right click menu look, hell maybe even settings app visuals. Anything that cannot be changed using simple softwares like windows blinds and themes and stuff. I want to like customize file explorer in a way that I could hide for example only the forward button but not the back button. But far as I know some themes hide the whole adressbar but they don't give you the option to choose which button you want to hide.