What is making computer A versus computer B 10 times faster for internet browsing, any engineers opinions?

Bruno Vincent

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
I compared 2 machines with same OS (fresh windows 10 install) and same SSD (Samsung EVO), same internet connection, same WIFI toggle, but this is where the similarities end!

What I don't understand is what makes the machine A ten times faster, not 2-3 times, 10 times+ for opening up and finish loading a dozen web pages.

I think it's due to CPU, but people say it makes no difference?

People say RAM but although one machine has 16 gigs and on 6, this task consumed under 4....

So here it is:

Machine A
- Desktop with i5-8400
- 16 gigs ram
- New

Machine B
- Laptopn Toshiba with Intel b950
- 6 gigs ram
- Old

So if it's not the RAM and not the CPU, what makes machine A 10 times faster than machine B, they share the same connection, same 12 websites, same SSD, same OS, same settings, same WIFI toggle.

PS. For other tasks like zipping, unzipping, and open up applications difference is the magnitude of 1-4 times faster, and in some cases can't tell the difference.

Solution
Cpu is considerably faster and the ram is also faster, chip set is faster as well. The internal links between components are faster. The main components that make up the computer is faster. If it doesn't rely on the drive to read or write like opening a program or file then comp a will be faster for everything. Once you factor in the drive then those actions will not be that much different. Internet is mostly done in memory hence the speed difference. Those factors are the answer to why one is faster than the other.

Bruno Vincent

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015

Thanks, that's pretty much the only thing I can conclude, I thought maybe motherboard...;)

Not RAM right?

This is about the best and only genuine speed benefit I see form the i5-8400, would an i5-8250u also give me good multiple tabs opening fast performance?

And is it the single core or multicore that makes this task so fast?

Bruno Vincent

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015

Thank Bob, but 2.1 to 2.8 is not 10 times faster...!

And for opening app and closing apps the i5 is only about twice as fast, and that reflects double boost clock, I just wonder why such a huge difference if that particular task.

Why don't manufacturers brag about this? They could sell it as "10 times faster internet" ?

USAFRet

Titan

There is MUCH more difference between the 2 CPU's than just clock freq.

And they don't advertise "10 times faster internet", because it is faster in everything.

indsup

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015
Cpu is considerably faster and the ram is also faster, chip set is faster as well. The internal links between components are faster. The main components that make up the computer is faster. If it doesn't rely on the drive to read or write like opening a program or file then comp a will be faster for everything. Once you factor in the drive then those actions will not be that much different. Internet is mostly done in memory hence the speed difference. Those factors are the answer to why one is faster than the other.

Solution