What Is Microsoft's Plan For Lumia 950, 950 XL Carrier Availability?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

I'm always a little skeptical of "OMG our stock sold out" kinds of things--companies can always artificially limit the number of available products, and then they sell out and make a big deal out of it. (I'm not *accusing* MS of that in this case...it's just the kind of story I tend to stay away from.) :D

Anyway. I'm not sure if the Surface brand is strong enough to propel a Surface Phone. It certainly could be. Especially, maybe, in the business space, where things like the smartphone-as-PC could gain a lot of traction.

Adam-dotNet

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015

If it was MS making the claim/PR shout, I'd agree with you. But they aren't in this case. Time will tell if the Surface is a brand they can leverage but as of right now, I think it's a good bet they will use it to try get a pry bar into the smartphone market. And no, the Surface brand isn't there today, but going back to my original squint, I can do so and see how they might manage this into something compelling. There is no example of someone coming into the mature phone market with a left for dying OS and became competitive - that they might be tacking to their own map seems like an improvement over where they've been

Ugoboy

Reputable
Oct 16, 2015
Microsoft stores will NOT be carrying the 950, at least but anytime soon. I preordered the 950 only to be contacted the following day to be told that the store would not be carrying it. Huh? You're not carrying your own phone?!? That's about as stupid as it gets. Since dropping ATT and never looking back, I've had T-Mobile and have been super happy with my decision. No way I'd go back to ATT for a phone. Looks loke I'll be keeping T-Mobile and my iPhone 6. By the way, I bought my phone at the Apple Store. You see, the Apple Stores carries the products that Apple makes.

Adam-dotNet

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
Not sure it's a fact that MS stores won't carry the 950, they aren't carrying them today. I just pre-ordered a 950XL and am optioning to swap that to the 950 when they get them in.

It seems that a lot of what I am reading in the last few days as well as sentiment in the MS Store is that Verizon is the immovable object here, not Microsoft. And based on my years of watching Vz eschewing anything Windows phone (or at least putting a very short timebox around their support), I think it makes it an easy decision to move off of Vz and over to AT&T (in a non-contractual way - a la an unlocked GSM phone).

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
Microsoft stores will NOT be carrying the 950, at least but anytime soon. I preordered the 950 only to be contacted the following day to be told that the store would not be carrying it. Huh? You're not carrying your own phone?!? That's about as stupid as it gets. Since dropping ATT and never looking back, I've had T-Mobile and have been super happy with my decision. No way I'd go back to ATT for a phone. Looks loke I'll be keeping T-Mobile and my iPhone 6. By the way, I bought my phone at the Apple Store. You see, the Apple Stores carries the products that Apple makes.

I asked Microsoft about this. Your store may simply not YET be carrying it -- MSFT told me that its stores in the U.S. and Canada will carry both the 950 and 950 XL, unlocked.

Adam-dotNet

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015

I heard the same from MS Store rep. She indicated that to her understanding Canada MS Stores already has the 950, the US will follow but she wasn't aware of when.

g-unit1111

Titan

I'd be curious to know what carriers its' on. AT&T is a definite no for me, and I'm not switching carriers just to get a phone, I agree there. They should make a version that's compatible with Verizon and Sprint. That would be a big seller. Microsoft can't follow in Nokia's footsteps.

Status
Not open for further replies.