Question What is my computer's maximum download speed?

inlimbo

Prominent
Sep 29, 2021
Hello. I have a Dell XPS 8700 running Windows 10.

I have fiber optic Internet service from Hotwire Fision. I use a Netgear Nighthawk AC1750 R6700v2 router. The connection to my computer is an ethernet cable.

Hotwire is saying that they have upgraded our download speed to 400 Mbps and 50 Mbps.

I have tested the speed several imes a day for the past few test using Hotwire Fision's online speed test.

I have consistently gotten a download speed of around 90 Mbps and an upload speed of around 50 Mbps.

Their rep said that my computer or router could be limiting the download speed, keeping me from getting the 400 Mbps. I highly doubt the router is the culprit given its specs.

I'm trying to figure out if my computer is the source of the problem.

I went to Device Manger and double-clicked "Network adapters." I see:

Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) #2
Dell Wireless 1703.802.11 b/g/n (2.4 GHz)
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
WAN Miniport (IKEv2)
WAN Miniport (IP)
WAN Miniport (IPv6)
WAN Miniport (L2TP)
WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)
WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
WAN Miniport (PPTP)
WAN Miniport SSTP)

That's all I see there.

Given all that info, does someone know how I could check to see if my computer is reducing the download speed?

Thanks!

To at least prove/disprove their claims, run a speed test either through Speedtest.net or Google's speed test. Considering ISPs may game the system by giving such tests the best routing, you can determine if it's a problem on your end if you're getting speeds much lower than expected.

Additionally, you should be using other computers or devices to verify the download speeds rather than rely on one computer. If everyone else is getting fast download speeds, then we can rule it's your computer.

Lutfij

Titan
Run CMD as Administrator and then type the following
netsh wlan show interfaces
do the same but
netsh lan show interfaces
see what you see in terms of your wireless adapter's make and model, that will be shown next to Description(below Name).

While here, can you check and see what the BIOS version for your prebuilt's motherboard is? Secondary note, what version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you working with?

inlimbo

Prominent
Sep 29, 2021
To at least prove/disprove their claims, run a speed test either through Speedtest.net or Google's speed test. Considering ISPs may game the system by giving such tests the best routing, you can determine if it's a problem on your end if you're getting speeds much lower than expected.

Additionally, you should be using other computers or devices to verify the download speeds rather than rely on one computer. If everyone else is getting fast download speeds, then we can rule it's your computer.

I have used Speedtest.net and Comcast and have gotten the same results.

And, yes, I have done the same thing on my work laptop and have gotten the same results.

I should have added this information.

inlimbo

Prominent
Sep 29, 2021
Run CMD as Administrator and then type the following
netsh wlan show interfaces
do the same but
netsh lan show interfaces
see what you see in terms of your wireless adapter's make and model, that will be shown next to Description(below Name).

While here, can you check and see what the BIOS version for your prebuilt's motherboard is? Secondary note, what version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you working with?

1. Wifi, Dell Wireless 1703 802.11 b/g/g (2.4 GHz) [I don't know how this relates to my wired connection but it's what the command gave me]

2. Dell Inc. A14, 5/31/2019
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI

3. Windows 10 Home, 10.0.19043 Build 19043

I have used Speedtest.net and Comcast and have gotten the same results.

And, yes, I have done the same thing on my work laptop and have gotten the same results.

I should have added this information.
If every device on the network is getting the same results, then I would put the blame on either the router or the modem.

EDIT: It's a long shot, but if you have any neighbors on the same service provider, you could ask them what speeds they're getting.

inlimbo

Prominent
Sep 29, 2021
what the Ethernet cable?

I don't have any specifics on that really. Just ones I've been given my Internet service providers or through my job.

For instance, the cable that runs from the splitter coming out of the wall jack says:

Avaya-0 Systimax 10Z4E 4/24/ (UL) C/M DR 40318

I make a daisy chain w/ two other cables to my desktop and my work laptop, respectively.

There is a third computer that connects wireless.

I am focused on the wired connections.

kanewolf

Titan
I don't have any specifics on that really. Just ones I've been given my Internet service providers or through my job.

For instance, the cable that runs from the splitter coming out of the wall jack says:

Avaya-0 Systimax 10Z4E 4/24/ (UL) C/M DR 40318

I make a daisy chain w/ two other cables to my desktop and my work laptop, respectively.

There is a third computer that connects wireless.

I am focused on the wired connections.
A "splitter" might only support 100Mbit. You need a switch.

inlimbo

Prominent
Sep 29, 2021
Hotwire installed the splitter when I moved in here 4.5 years ago . The splitter is necessary because there's another cable that runs to the television box. I am going to ask them for a new router and a new splitter. Does that make sense? You have the choice to use their router.

kanewolf

Titan
Hotwire installed the splitter when I moved in here 4.5 years ago . The splitter is necessary because there's another cable that runs to the television box. I am going to ask them for a new router and a new splitter. Does that make sense? You have the choice to use their router.
A splitter takes the 8 wires and creates two connections of 4 wires each. Those two 4-wire connections are limited to 100Mbit. You need to rework your in-wall cabling to get greater than 90Mbit downloads.

inlimbo

Prominent
Sep 29, 2021
I don't know what you mean by "8 wires." Are you saying that the fiber optic cable that runs to the wall jack consists of "8 wires"?

And that any time you put a splitter on a fiber optic cable you are reducing it to "4 wires," necessarily reducing its speed?

Also, what am I supposed to do?

I have three computers: (1) home; (2) work; and (3) secondary.

The ethernet cable from one side of the jack runs to the router. Then I daisy chain to the home and work computer, respectively. I have to do this. Both of these computers have to be wired connections.

Are you suggesting that I need new jacks for my home computer, work computer, and also my television?

Right now, there is only one working jack in here.

kanewolf

Titan
I don't know what you mean by "8 wires." Are you saying that the fiber optic cable that runs to the wall jack consists of "8 wires"?

And that any time you put a splitter on a fiber optic cable you are reducing it to "4 wires," necessarily reducing its speed?

Also, what am I supposed to do?

I have three computers: (1) home; (2) work; and (3) secondary.

The ethernet cable from one side of the jack runs to the router. Then I daisy chain to the home and work computer, respectively. I have to do this. Both of these computers have to be wired connections.

Are you suggesting that I need new jacks for my home computer, work computer, and also my television?

Right now, there is only one working jack in here.
I didn't know you were talking about fiber, I assumed you were talking about copper cabling.

inlimbo

Prominent
Sep 29, 2021
Inspect what cabling? The splitter? The Ethernet cables? Please note that Hotwire installed the splitter.

What do I need, exactly, to preserve the speed of the fiber optic cable that presumably stops at the jack?

USAFRet

Titan
Inspect what cabling? The splitter? The Ethernet cables? Please note that Hotwire installed the splitter.

What do I need, exactly, to preserve the speed of the fiber optic cable that presumably stops at the jack?
What this "splitter" is actually splitting.

If it is changing an 8 wire Cat5e ethernet into 2x 4 wire cables....that is your problem.
You get connectivity, but only up to ~90mbps.

Currently, there is one person on the planet who knows exactly what it is...the tech who installed this.

inlimbo

Prominent
Sep 29, 2021
Okay. When the tech comes to install the new router, I am going to tell him that I think that the splitter may be the culprit.

Hopefully, there are splitters that don't cause this problem (assuming this one did).

USAFRet

Titan
Okay. When the tech comes to install the new router, I am going to tell him that I think that the splitter may be the culprit.

Hopefully, there are splitters that don't cause this problem (assuming this one did).
No.
Don't define the problem.

Say:
"I'm only getting 90mbps to this location. Why is that? What does your test equipment show?"

Let HIM find and fix the problem.

Reactions: rgd1101

inlimbo

Prominent
Sep 29, 2021
OK. The technician fixed it. He did suspect the splitter was the culprit, but also found that "only two pairs were active" instead of four. Whatever he did, I'm getting the 400 now--without a new router. Decided not to get it because it had only two ports and I needed more. Thanks for the helpful information!