What is my PC worth?

JBURNS489

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
I am debating whether or not I should sell my PC. I recently bought a business, and my income is a bit tight. I don't know how much my PC is worth anymore, and it would be pretty painful for me to let it go. This is the first PC I ever built, and it's been a great machine. I have an older laptop for netflix, youtube, and light gaming. It's definitely not even close to same level of performance that my desktop has, but still usable. Everything works perfectly and cool temps, except it is missing the optical drive. I loaned the optical drive to a friend who moved away, and never did get it returned or replaced. So, what do you think is a fair price for my PC would be? Also, where is the best place to sell it? Craigslist?

CPU: I7-4790K @4.0ghz (boost to 4.4) not overclocked
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster hyper 212 Evo
Graphics: MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X not overclocked
MOBO: Gigabyte Gaming 7 z97 (1150 socket)
RAM: G Skill 16GB (8x2) @ 1600
STORAGE: Samsung 256gb Pro
STORAGE: Western Digital Blue 1TB @7200RPM
PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold
DISPLAY (optional to be included): Asus VG248qe 24inch 1080p @144hz

Solution
If things are not desperate situation then I would only sell it to another gamer that understands what is in it.

Without monitor I would value it at $900 maybee 1000.
On craigslist or other used market you would be lucky to get $600 for it because they flat out dont care that the G2 is a good PSU, or that it Samsung vs Kingston SSD, or that you have a higher end motherboard. They just think that because you can get an FX-6300/GTX 1050 computer for $400 means yours is only worth $600.
Check on Ebay for those parts, then price it 1/4 less to sell it and hope you get HALF that money.
The issue with buying 'used' is all your stuff is NOT warrantied, someone screws up they will be blaming you for the 'broken' PC you sold them. Also remember people see PCs costing 'less' than a cell phone, at wall mart for only $200 bucks, so why are you asking for $1200??? See their perception?

BTW computers aren't being sold with optical drives for a while now, as in the case of your lappy, people using Hulu, Netflix, etc. for video and games they get from Origin, Steam, etc. so no disc needed in either case, and thus redundant.

If things are not desperate situation then I would only sell it to another gamer that understands what is in it.

Without monitor I would value it at $900 maybee 1000.
On craigslist or other used market you would be lucky to get $600 for it because they flat out dont care that the G2 is a good PSU, or that it Samsung vs Kingston SSD, or that you have a higher end motherboard. They just think that because you can get an FX-6300/GTX 1050 computer for $400 means yours is only worth $600.

Solution

JBURNS489

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
It seems like the general consensus is I may get 800-1000 dollars if I am lucky. Honestly, I think I would rather just keep it at that offer. I just emptied almost my entire life savings to buy the business, and the licenses to operate were almost 12k by themselves. I am more worried about operating costs (payroll, sales tax, inventory, etc.) A thousand dollars wouldn't help me too much, and I feel like I would always regret letting go of it. The business came with 3 capable PC's with SSDs in all of them, and I don't really know what I would even use another computer for at this point lol...Thank you guys very much for taking the time out to respond.

TRENDING THREADS