[SOLVED] What is normal overclock temp?

Jul 26, 2022
I had HWinfo open yesterday while gaming and noticed my max CPU temp reached 90c. I did take cooler off few months ago without repasting. So I cleaned and repasted CPU and played few more hours and it still got to 82c. I've seen threads saying over 80 is bad and 90 is dangerous, I've never had any problems so just asking general question about what temps should be.

CPU is i7 9700k 3.6 -4.9GHz
NZXT cooler, Not sure specific model it was $85 on amazon

I actually didn't know it was over clocked but I looked in bios and it said target clock speed 4900MHz. The core clocks in HWinfo always shows max 4702 on all 8 cores.
Further down in bios there is "Intel Turbo Boost" that is enabled. From the description it looks like it is an auto boost it uses when system needs it. So Seems that is always overclocked to max when gaming.

The PC has always ran fine it just worried me when I saw temps reaching 90c and noticed it is overclocked in bios. I thought it was stock, I've never touched anything but memory in bios . Few questions.

Is 80-90c ok temps for overclocked CPU?
What is "Intel Turbo boost" and "Intel Speed Step"?
If I disabled Turbo boost and set overclock to somewhere in middle like 4.3-4.5GHz would it drop temps and would I notice big difference in game?

My caveman instincts tells me if it ain't broke don't fix it. Would like to at least know if the temps are normal

SuAbIOc.jpg

vJfukqQ.jpg

Solution
Not only is that a piece of crap cooler, but even if it worked properly it is not enough cooler even for stock operation for the 9700k ESPECIALLY in a case that almost lacks airflow like that one.

See that name stenciled on the side of the PSU shroud? The one that says "iBuyPower? That's the biggest problem and the first one. Friends don't let friends buy crap from iBuypower or CyberpowerPC. Not as bad as Walmart prebuilt "gaming" systems, but not better by much.

You need a better case and a better CPU cooler, if you want to see manageable thermals. Taking the side panel off likely might help a little bit.

I'd wait on selecting a new cooler until you select a new case, IF you select a new case, so that you can be sure it is...
What, EXACTLY, were you doing or running when you saw the 90°C and then the 82°C temperatures? Because if those are during normal usage or gaming, there is a cooling problem. If those were while running a very intensive stress test like Prime95, then the 82°C temperature is probably just barely within the acceptable range we'd like to see but the 90°C temperature would be outside the acceptable range. If that temperature was while just doing normal things or gaming, it's definitely a problem.

Take the side panel off and recheck. If temps are better then you lack airflow through the case or your airflow configuration is not right. If it does not change, then either you don't have a good enough cooler for that overclock or you have exceeded the overclocking envelope that your CPU and motherboard plus cooling are capable of supporting.

We need to know the EXACT model of your CPU cooler, so you need to find that out.

BUT, your CPU is not "overclocked". That is just the default boost speed you are seeing. First thing I'd probably do is make sure you have the MOST up to date motherboard BIOS version installed.

Jul 26, 2022
What, EXACTLY, were you doing or running when you saw the 90°C and then the 82°C temperatures? Because if those are during normal usage or gaming, there is a cooling problem. If those were while running a very intensive stress test like Prime95, then the 82°C temperature is probably just barely within the acceptable range we'd like to see but the 90°C temperature would be outside the acceptable range. If that temperature was while just doing normal things or gaming, it's definitely a problem.

Take the side panel off and recheck. If temps are better then you lack airflow through the case or your airflow configuration is not right. If it does not change, then either you don't have a good enough cooler for that overclock or you have exceeded the overclocking envelope that your CPU and motherboard plus cooling are capable of supporting.

We need to know the EXACT model of your CPU cooler, so you need to find that out.

BUT, your CPU is not "overclocked". That is just the default boost speed you are seeing. First thing I'd probably do is make sure you have the MOST up to date motherboard BIOS version installed.

I was just playing games. I checked the temps on HWinfo after gaming session and saw they got to 90c. I did cinebench like 2 months ago and it was staying between 94-103c whole time. I have newest bios version.

It was prebuilt system, I've upgrading most everything accept CPU and case. The case is a glass case completely closed in, accept for a vent on top. Can't find info on the cooler. I will test with side panel off.

akrs8KY.jpg

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
For your scenario, one could say that's 'normal'. Don't see many spaces for cool air to get in, and it looks like the heated air that can get out could get drawn back in...

I've seen threads saying over 80 is bad and 90 is dangerous...
SUSTAINED. The keyword is sustained. Spikes are less of a problem, but shouldn't be entirely ignored.

NZXT cooler, Not sure specific model it was $85 on amazon
Going by the last image, it's gotta be that hot garbage Kraken M22.
Either it's not getting enough cool air to offset the heat coming from everything in front of it - you are using it as a rear exhaust after all...
Or it's begun clogging up.

Jul 26, 2022
For your scenario, one could say that's 'normal'. Don't see many spaces for cool air to get in, and it looks like the heated air that can get out could get drawn back in...

SUSTAINED. The keyword is sustained. Spikes are less of a problem, but shouldn't be entirely ignored.

Going by the last image, it's gotta be that hot garbage Kraken M22.
Either it's not getting enough cool air to offset the heat coming from everything in front of it - you are using it as a rear exhaust after all...
Or it's begun clogging up.

I think it is the Kraken M22,i'll post pic of inside. Kraken M22 is bad? I bought it because the original one went out about 9 months ago. The exhaust is 8 inches from wall
It's not problem getting new cooler. What would you recommend that is same size?
Ao01tVc.jpg

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yep. That's a Kraken M22.
IF you've heard about the numerous Msi MAG & MPG Coreliquid failures, the M22 is made by the same company: Apaltek/Apalcool. They've got a track record of early failures due to contaminated coolant.
Plus, 120mm AIO/CLCs shouldn't be used as exhausts. It doesn't just cool the cpu, it also has to aid in getting the heat from everything else out - most notably, the gpu, since it's the greatest contributor... but a front install here would be crippled by that glass panel.

It's not problem getting new cooler. What would you recommend that is same size?
Scythe FUMA 2 or the Rev. B
Deepcool AK620
Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120
Keep using the fan from the M22 as a rear case exhaust and throw out the rest.

Not only is that a piece of crap cooler, but even if it worked properly it is not enough cooler even for stock operation for the 9700k ESPECIALLY in a case that almost lacks airflow like that one.

See that name stenciled on the side of the PSU shroud? The one that says "iBuyPower? That's the biggest problem and the first one. Friends don't let friends buy crap from iBuypower or CyberpowerPC. Not as bad as Walmart prebuilt "gaming" systems, but not better by much.

You need a better case and a better CPU cooler, if you want to see manageable thermals. Taking the side panel off likely might help a little bit.

I'd wait on selecting a new cooler until you select a new case, IF you select a new case, so that you can be sure it is compatible whether it's an air cooler or another AIO liquid cooler. Height and space restrictions vary from case to case when it comes to cooler compatibility.

Solution
Jul 26, 2022
What about this case? Corsair/Mid-Tower-ATX-Case/4000D-Airflow-Tempered-Glass-Mid-Tower-ATX-Case

Can I just get this case and do clean swap of all my parts, then get new cooler?

Jul 26, 2022

I took the side panel off and have been playing the exact same game I was yesterday when it was hitting 90c. I've been playing for 3 hours checking temps and it hasn't gotten over 70.5c
Almost 20 degree difference...That's crazy! Still not sure if it is case design or the Kraken cooler so am just gonna get both. That's why I like this site, learn something new every time.

Also the core clocks max was at 4800MHz. I've never seen them go past 4702 for the max.

J4LFR4w.jpg

The 4.9Ghz max boost will only ever happen if only one core is being boosted. If two cores are boosted I think you'll see 4.8Ghz, 4.7Ghz for three boosted or more boosted cores I think. There's information on that boost behavior out there if you want to look for it.

So, if only taking off the side panel resulted in that big of a temperature difference, then the problem is 100% your case having poor airflow, but you need a better cooler anyhow because there are no 120 or 140mm AIO coolers that I would agree to say are good enough for the 9700k whether at the stock configuration or otherwise. Minimum should be a very good air cooler or at least a 240mm AIO cooler.

It would also be a very good idea to get another case fan to go in the Top-Rear location at the top of the case. Having three intake fans (Front) and two exhaust fans (Rear and Top-rear) would provide plenty of airflow through the case and make life a lot easier on your graphics card and CPU cooler.