[SOLVED] What is normal temprature for Ryzen 7 5800x?

mac187

Commendable
Nov 4, 2020
Hi, i just upgraded my cpu to Ryzen 7 5800x. What are the normal tempratures on idle and full load for this CPU?

On idle it is 35-40 degrees. But did CPU stress test with Prime95 and CpuTemp shows that CPU is around 88 degrees when 100% load.

is this normal? Or should i control fans to run more when hitting any degree? If so, which degree?

recommened software for controlling fan?

Thank you:)

Solution
It's fully expected to go as high as 90C to achieve full performance in fully loaded situations. But you'll quite likely see those temps even in fairly light loads depending on monitoring program you're using and the particular sensor you're looking at.

Best software for fan control is BIOS. Just don't try to set a tight 'curve'. I'd use a fixed fan speed that barely audible up to mid-80's, with long hysterisis, before letting it get very loud at all.

Ok so i should control the fan speed in bios? And for example I can say when degree is 80 i can run full speed on fans? :) Or do you have any recommendation? Thank you :)
Temperatures will vary depending on your cooling solution, case airflow, and other factors. As such there is no "normal" idle and load temperatures for a particular CPU.

What cooler are you using? 88c is a bit hot, and is likely leading to reduced boost clocks and reduced performance.

mac187

Commendable
Nov 4, 2020
Temperatures will vary depending on your cooling solution, case airflow, and other factors. As such there is no "normal" idle and load temperatures for a particular CPU.

What cooler are you using? 88c is a bit hot, and is likely leading to reduced boost clocks and reduced performance.

icue-h115i-rgb-pro-xt cooler :)

Last edited:
Hi, i just upgraded my cpu to Ryzen 7 5800x. What are the normal tempratures on idle and full load for this CPU?

On idle it is 35-40 degrees. But did CPU stress test with Prime95 and CpuTemp shows that CPU is around 88 degrees when 100% load.

is this normal? Or should i control fans to run more when hitting any degree? If so, which degree?

recommened software for controlling fan?

Thank you:)
It's fully expected to go as high as 90C to achieve full performance in fully loaded situations. But you'll quite likely see those temps even in fairly light loads depending on monitoring program you're using and the particular sensor you're looking at.

Best software for fan control is BIOS. Just don't try to set a tight 'curve'. I'd use a fixed fan speed that barely audible up to mid-80's, with long hysterisis, before letting it get very loud at all.

mac187

Commendable
Nov 4, 2020

Ok so i should control the fan speed in bios? And for example I can say when degree is 80 i can run full speed on fans? :) Or do you have any recommendation? Thank you :)

Solution
It depends entirely on your tolerance for noise...how loud your fans are....and what type cooling.

Some people are comfortable with just dialing all fans to max since they sit in a noise shadow and use headphones all the time. Some fans are super quiet (like Noctua) and even 100% isn't 'loud', exactly, and so makes that strategy easier.

AIO's use water as the heat sink...water has ENORMOUS capacity to absorb heat so you don't have to dial up radiator fans to shed the heat until the liquid's close to thermal saturation.

And finally, a steady fan speed is preferable to the pulsing that happens if you set the profile to follow the temp too closely. So to take advantage of the very wide thermal operating range in Ryzen CPU's that's why I say just set a fan speed that's barely loud enough to hear up to a fairly high temp. You have to fiddle with it some to arrive at what works for you.

The real problem in most systems is removing waste heat from the GPU, not the CPU. That's might dictate higher case fan speeds since gaming doesn't get the CPU really 'hot' at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88