[SOLVED] What is on channel 1 of 2.4G

hw_user

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
I am using WIFI Analyzer app on my Android phone and I have 2 questions
1. Under 2.4G Access points, the first one shows hidden (ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff) 0 dBm CH 1 2412MHz ~0.0 m. 2402-2422 (20MHz). I am just wondering what this is hidden SSID ? Should I consider it as one of the users on Channel 1 when I try to determine which channel is the busiest ?

2. Another SSID shows LIKS (00:fc:8d:51:c1:58) -45 dBm CH1(3) 2412MHz..... What does it means by CH1(3) ?

Solution
It pretty much a waste of time to try to find unused channels on 2.4g. Modern routers use 40mhz and there is only 60mhz total. This means it is impossible to fit 2 signals into it you will get interference no matter what you choose. I am surprised you only see 2 other routers most people will see a lot more. If you live in some apartment buildings it is not unusual to see 30-40.

Just pick something and let it see how it works. Then try others and see what works best. Unfortunately the number of routers does not mean they are in use. A single very highly used router will cause more interference than 2 or 3 that are do very little traffic.
It pretty much a waste of time to try to find unused channels on 2.4g. Modern routers use 40mhz and there is only 60mhz total. This means it is impossible to fit 2 signals into it you will get interference no matter what you choose. I am surprised you only see 2 other routers most people will see a lot more. If you live in some apartment buildings it is not unusual to see 30-40.

Just pick something and let it see how it works. Then try others and see what works best. Unfortunately the number of routers does not mean they are in use. A single very highly used router will cause more interference than 2 or 3 that are do very little traffic.

Solution

hw_user

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

Yes, I do see a lot more 2.4G access points. I just list the 2 for the purpose of asking the questions. I only have one old tablet that does not support 5G which I have to find the best router channel set up for it. I found the less number of users on CH1. My cell phone sitting next to my router detects a -30dBm signal and I got the 73M download speed out of the 75M provided by my ISP. But who can this hidden user which is 0 dBm be ? I am in a house and my neighbors are more than 10 feet away from my cell phone. What kind of router can transmit such a strong signal resulting in my WIFI Analyzer showing 0 dBm ?

There are all kinds of things that do this. I know for example roku puts out a signal for its remote. I guess the easiest way to see if it is something in your house is to turn off the power and see if it goes away. That though only will not find say a drone that is using wifi from battery that you left turned on.

I guess if it work that is all that matters. You have to be very careful about the channel numbers in routers. The ones on the 2.4g radio only represent 5mhz of bandwidth. The signal is actually using groups of 4 or 8 of these channels.