• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

    Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

    Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

what is PCI express?

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I assme this is a new type of graphics card.
Will it go into a AGP slot?

Jeff B
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

It is a new standard that REPLACES PCI and AGP. It uses new design of
motherboard.

--
DaveW



"jeff b" <fakeaddy@fjyfj.com> wrote in message
news:Me7vc.32518$eY2.3913@attbi_s02...
> I assme this is a new type of graphics card.
> Will it go into a AGP slot?
>
> Jeff B
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"jeff b" <fakeaddy@fjyfj.com> wrote in message
news:Me7vc.32518$eY2.3913@attbi_s02...
> I assme this is a new type of graphics card.
> Will it go into a AGP slot?
>
> Jeff B
>

Yes it is made FOR a new type of graphics card, but the cards that will be
made for PCI Express won't fit in your old AGP slot.

Regards Rubbie
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
news:IR7vc.40188$n_6.26002@attbi_s53...
> It is a new standard that REPLACES PCI and AGP. It uses new design of
> motherboard.
>
> --
> DaveW
>
>
>
> "jeff b" <fakeaddy@fjyfj.com> wrote in message
> news:Me7vc.32518$eY2.3913@attbi_s02...
> > I assme this is a new type of graphics card.
> > Will it go into a AGP slot?
> >
> > Jeff B
> >
>
>

It's a scam to make more money out of us as we not only have to buy a new
graphics card, but also a new CPU, motherboard and power supply...maybe even
memory if the new boards only support DDR2.
 

Si

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
247
0
18,680
0
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

PCI Express is the next generation of graphics bus aimed at replacing the
aging AGP 8x standard. PCI Express is high-speed, serial, point-to-point
specification able to deliver over 200Mb per second over each of its
'lanes'. Initially the PCI Express specification assumes 16 lanes which can
deliver up to 4Gb per second - twice that of AGP 8x. However, it is
extendible and there is already a 32 lane specification in the works.

Cheers.

Si



"jeff b" <fakeaddy@fjyfj.com> wrote in message
news:Me7vc.32518$eY2.3913@attbi_s02...
> I assme this is a new type of graphics card.
> Will it go into a AGP slot?
>
> Jeff B
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

> PCI Express is the next generation of graphics bus aimed at replacing the
> aging AGP 8x standard. PCI Express is high-speed, serial, point-to-point

I guess that you're being sarcastic... ;-)

> specification able to deliver over 200Mb per second over each of its
> 'lanes'. Initially the PCI Express specification assumes 16 lanes which can
> deliver up to 4Gb per second - twice that of AGP 8x. However, it is
> extendible and there is already a 32 lane specification in the works.
>

For graphics cards, these standards (i.e. AGP x2, x4, x8, PCI Express) aren't really
needed cos there is enough memory on board the card.

--
Ad
 

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
513
0
18,980
0
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"jeff b" <fakeaddy@fjyfj.com> wrote in message
news:Me7vc.32518$eY2.3913@attbi_s02...
> I assme this is a new type of graphics card.
> Will it go into a AGP slot?
>
> Jeff B

Fascinating to see the responses to your question Jeff. 9 responses and
nearly all of them are highly misleading, if not actually wrong.

PCI-Express is a new bus standard for PC's which will replace the aging PCI
standard that's been around for so many years. Unlike the existing PCI
connectors which use a parallel interface, PCI-Express is based on a
high-speed serial connection with much improved bandwidth compared to the
original. This is important for things like raid disk controllers and
gigabit lan cards for which the PCI bus really doesn't have enough
bandwidth. Another benefit is that they have increased the maximum power
(i.e. electrical power) that can be supplied by the PCI-Express slot.

AGP was orginally introduced because of the limited bandwidth of PCI. But
now since the bandwidth of PCI-Express is so much higher than PCI, it means
it will be possible to connect graphics cards up via PCI-Express instead of
AGP. So the introduction of PCI-Express will mean that AGP effectively
insn't needed anymore.

PCI-Express offers virtually zero benefits over AGP. AGP 8x was already
plenty fast enough and moving to PCI-Express won't offer any speed
improvements. The only benefit is that *maybe* the PCI-Express cards won't
need an extra power connector. And *maybe* there could be some benefit for
cad-type applications that need to move a lot of data between main memory
and the graphics card. For games, there will be no benefit at all.

Also, motherboards and graphic cards will still continue to be manufactured
using AGP for quite a considerable time. Perhaps 2 years+?

So to say PCI-Express is the replacement for AGP is not really correct. It
is the replacement for PCI. And yes, it will replace AGP in due course, but
that's not what it is primarily for.

Chip
 

shaun

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
95
0
18,630
0
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

> It's a scam to make more money out of us as we not only have to buy a new
> graphics card, but also a new CPU, motherboard and power supply...maybe
even
> memory if the new boards only support DDR2.
>

No it's not a SCAM, it's simply evolution of PC architecture. PCI is tired,
and reaching its limits for certain applications (Gb LAN, etc).. been around
since what, mid 90s? ... Simple as that. It's simpler, faster, and more
flexible.

Incase you're still worried you're getting scammed, there will be boards
with PCI Express and standard PCI slots in the interim.
 

Tim

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
1,833
0
19,780
0
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Shaun" <shaun@nothanks.com.au> wrote in message
news:Jycvc.81$Jb7.2544@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...
>
> Incase you're still worried you're getting scammed, there will be boards
> with PCI Express and standard PCI slots in the interim.
>

The only scam will be from people telling you to upgrade as soon as
possible.
 

shaun

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
95
0
18,630
0
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

>
> For graphics cards, these standards (i.e. AGP x2, x4, x8, PCI Express)
aren't really
> needed cos there is enough memory on board the card.
>

Well yes.. the difference betwen AGP8x and PCIExpress will be ah heck all I
imagine...

The whole point of it is moreso to replace the current PCI architecture
limitations, but just so happens it will make AGP slots redundant too.
 

Hawk

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004
171
0
18,680
0
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote:

> PCI-Express offers virtually zero benefits over AGP. AGP 8x was already
> plenty fast enough and moving to PCI-Express won't offer any speed
> improvements. The only benefit is that *maybe* the PCI-Express cards
won't
> need an extra power connector. And *maybe* there could be some benefit
for
> cad-type applications that need to move a lot of data between main memory
> and the graphics card. For games, there will be no benefit at all.


The sweet thing about PCI express...is that it looks like it is going to be
possible (with some motherboards) to install more than one video card and
have them share the load. Imagine two x800XT's operating in parallel, one
rendering the top half of the screen while the other renders the bottom
half. Boggles the mind really...


(*>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message
news:2i5uktFj754rU1@uni-berlin.de...

> PCI-Express offers virtually zero benefits over AGP.

On the whole, I agree with everything you said but this statement is just so
wrong. AGP can send data to cards fairly fast. However, AGP was designed
to send data to the card and not necissarily send data from the card to
memory. The result: seding data from the card is extemely slow.

Normally this isn't such a big deal. However, Nvidia has stated their GPU
is capable of several times more processing power than a P4. At times, some
of that processing power is sitting idle, even while playing games.
Wouldn't it be neat if you could send data to the GPU, have it perform
calculations for things other than graphics related items (such as Physics
or AI) and send the results back to the memory/cpu? Currently, due to the
slow rate of transfering data from a vid card to the system this is
impossible. With PCI-Express, this will be a reality. If they can pull it
off, applications may have a dramatic performance boost. Heck, it maybe
considered dual processing!

Chris Smith
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Hawk wrote:

>
> "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote:
>
>> PCI-Express offers virtually zero benefits over AGP. AGP 8x was already
>> plenty fast enough and moving to PCI-Express won't offer any speed
>> improvements. The only benefit is that *maybe* the PCI-Express cards
> won't
>> need an extra power connector. And *maybe* there could be some benefit
> for
>> cad-type applications that need to move a lot of data between main memory
>> and the graphics card. For games, there will be no benefit at all.
>
>
> The sweet thing about PCI express...is that it looks like it is going to
> be possible (with some motherboards) to install more than one video card
> and
> have them share the load. Imagine two x800XT's operating in parallel, one
> rendering the top half of the screen while the other renders the bottom
> half. Boggles the mind really...

Only one vendor has announced such a system, and given that it involves
custom software developed by that vendor it is very likely going to support
only a very limited range of hardware, and what they have running at the
moment is Nvidia 5900s. Further, their mixer board appears to be
analog-only.

Nothing "mind-boggling" about it--3dfx did it much more gracefully years
ago.
>
>
> (*>

--
--John
Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
 

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
513
0
18,980
0
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"who be dat?" <whatever@dot.com> wrote in message
news:10bsvconb6su9c9@corp.supernews.com...
>
> "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message
> news:2i5uktFj754rU1@uni-berlin.de...
>
> > PCI-Express offers virtually zero benefits over AGP.
>
> On the whole, I agree with everything you said but this statement is just
so
> wrong. AGP can send data to cards fairly fast. However, AGP was designed
> to send data to the card and not necissarily send data from the card to
> memory. The result: seding data from the card is extemely slow.
>
> Normally this isn't such a big deal. However, Nvidia has stated their GPU
> is capable of several times more processing power than a P4. At times,
some
> of that processing power is sitting idle, even while playing games.
> Wouldn't it be neat if you could send data to the GPU, have it perform
> calculations for things other than graphics related items (such as Physics
> or AI) and send the results back to the memory/cpu? Currently, due to the
> slow rate of transfering data from a vid card to the system this is
> impossible. With PCI-Express, this will be a reality. If they can pull
it
> off, applications may have a dramatic performance boost. Heck, it maybe
> considered dual processing!
>
> Chris Smith

I agree about the bi-directional speed improvement. I ommited to mention it
because I don't share your opimism regarding the real-world benefit it will
bring. I can't ever see the scenario you describe actually happening.
That's just my personal opinion though and it might well be proved wrong.

However, in the gaming environment, PCI-Express remains largely - if not
completely - irrelevant.

The part that the buying public hasn't yet twigged is that graphics card
memory is running at 2.x nanaseconds these days. 510MHz DDR = 1100MHz reads
x 256 bit = 35GB/s. Main memory on the other hand is lucky to deliver
1/10th of that. Why would anyone want to load anything from main memory,
even if PCI-Express is lightning fast? Doesn't make any sense.

Chip

Chip
 

asdf

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2002
52
0
18,630
0
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

thats right i bought everything read all the reviews and NOT once did
they ANYONE say that there are no video cards for pci-e


On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 13:01:10 -0400, "Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>
>"Shaun" <shaun@nothanks.com.au> wrote in message
>news:Jycvc.81$Jb7.2544@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...
>>
>> Incase you're still worried you're getting scammed, there will be boards
>> with PCI Express and standard PCI slots in the interim.
>>
>
>The only scam will be from people telling you to upgrade as soon as
>possible.
>
>



----== Posted via Newsfeed.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Sure there are. Just hard to come by.And some off the shelf systems have both
onboard and card based PCI-e.

>thats right i bought everything read all the reviews and NOT once did
>they ANYONE say that there are no video cards for pci-e
>
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS