What is program folder x86?

luketmk

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
What is program folder x86?

My only understanding is that, I would install 32bit softwares on my 64bit windows under the x86 folder ( please correct me if I am wrong).

However, what should I do if I want to install software under a different partition with out the the x86 folder there?

Thanks for reading.

Solution
The "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" folders are simply the default folders for software installations. Assuming that the install program gives you the choice, you can choose to install it in any folder on any partition and it should work just fine.
You really don't want to do that. That folder is the x64 Windows versions' automatic install folder for 32-bit programs. If you do not use it (or change to another location), the 64-bit OS will not be able to find it, apply the Windows On Windows operations to access and load it so you can use it. You can create sub-folders for each program, or type of program you install, e.g., I use a sub-folder I named "Flight" for my flight simulator and aerial combat games.

The "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" folders are simply the default folders for software installations. Assuming that the install program gives you the choice, you can choose to install it in any folder on any partition and it should work just fine.

Solution