What is Right Path?

say_02

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015
Hi Folks,

I need your suggestions for selecting the right career path..i am VCP datacenter and cloud. I was a purely infrastructure Guy.But then had to moved to a country where VMware deployment is very rare. though i am still working in a same virtualization role but hard to get hands on of VMware technology. Here virtualization product is mainly Microsoft based.(Hyper-V 2012 R2)

I attend few seminars and MS tech-ed sessions which are highly pitching azure/office 365/power BI/IoT etc.

from last few days, i am reading many forums/blogs to understand technology trend so i would upgrade my skillset according to future forecast for Information Technology.

But i am really not sure what is the correct direction to step forward..MS is saying that in future organizations will move to their cloud or at least hybrid cloud so one has to know about migrations of on-premises infrastructure to azure cloud. this brings another concerns that in terms we are digging our own grave by migrating things off to MS cloud and left nothing with us except a limited console(for company administrator). which will leave us to do everything with simple "Click Button" nothing technical! no in depth stuff for IT guys.

VMware is saying their cloud Air would lead the future and they evidence this statement with cost and performance comparison.

I have also read 451 research and other ones saying AWS is leading Cloud arena at the moment and azure is 2nd.

Now i am not sure, i don't know if i start learning my skills in MS Azure or AWS and after a while a situation came where i have to take another U Turn(like i did now from VMware to Hyper-V) to other cloud platform then that would require a great amount of time and effort.

I am really looking for vendor neutral forums to get the best advise.

Please guide me what you guys predict about the technology for next 10-15 years so i could polish my skills for that.

Concluding:

1-) What is the best hot area of IT in next 5-10 years
2-)And which technologies is the most emerging in the field of Infrastructure.

Thanks.Say_A02

Kewlx25

Distinguished
No on can predict technology 10-15 years out, 8 is a about the max and it's still an educated guess. If I was to predict something, it would be that bandwidth is going to become very cheap. The amount of bandwidth we can send over a singe fiber has increased 1000x in the past 5-10 years, but it takes longer than that for core long-haul infrastructure to get replaced.

My prediction is that core infrastructure is going to hit a tipping point where this new tech is going to be more affordable and more common and is going to have critical mass. When this finally happens, everyone is going to start replacing their infrastructure all around in a scramble.

Sending many multiplexed channels of data down a single fiber is only the first step. We still need to route and switch the data, which is a whole other problem that doesn't scale as well.

The cloud is expensive compared to owning your own infrastructure, but there are some benefits. It's dead simple to provision more resources, no large sunk costs, idle hardware isn't a waste of money because you can "unprovision" cloud resources. The cloud is a great foot-in-the-door, awesome for disaster recovery, and a way to augment your current infrastructure.

Hybrid cloud needs a lot of bandwidth, which plays into a bandwidth explosion. A bandwidth explosion also plays into more self-hosting.

I personally think all things cloud are going to go all directions at the same time. More popular and less popular at the same time. The notion of a cloud is really just making a resource pool from which you can easily provision resources. I think private and public clouds are both going to become more popular and there will be demand for a standardized platform that can easily accommodate seamlessly moving between the private and public cloud.

say_02

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015
Hi Kewlx25,

Thanks.
That's very thoughtful reply..What i am also concern about is, the way this world is gradually moving to public cloud. What would be the role of IT Consulting companies and indeed what technical role of IT Professional would be?

Because only Cloud provider would know the deep inside technical stuff..We would consider as a people scratching the surface.. in other words a console administrator or company administrator..

Any idea how principal vendor(Microsoft, Amazon, Google, VMware) is assuring long career of IT Infrastructure Pros? Because they are taking control of infrastructure Thanks again

Kewlx25

Distinguished
You may need fewer IT workers, but you still need consultants. A poor design in the cloud could still lose your all of your data easily. Oops, deleted a bunch of servers. The flip side of the coin is an improperly design setup can be slow and expensive.