Question What is SSD lifespan ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artaherzadeh

Reputable
May 17, 2019
Hi
I really didn't think that SSD has a lifespan. What the hell ? I could buy 1 TB HDD with the money I paid for a 120GB WD Green SSD and WD says my SSD lifespan is 8TB write. I downloaded more than 500 GB game data this week.
I may be wrong and I hope I am but 8TB is very very low for a SSD.
What happens after that ? I have to buy another SSD ?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Every components has a life, storage devices too including SSD because the NAND flash that powers SSDs has a finite number of “program/erase” (P/E) cycles before it can’t be used anymore.

SSDs are way faster and not I woulnd't compare their price/size to HDDs. I wouldn't get a SSD smaller than 250GB though.

Also you must have downloaded and saved the 500GB data on the HDD in your signature and 500GB does not fit in the 120GB drive. So no worries there.

Where does WD say it's life span is 8TB writes? It can't be right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Artaherzadeh
D

Deleted member 14196

What happens after that? Buy only quality Samsung SSD’s from now on

Wd green TWB is 40Tb not 8Tb. This is a horrible drive and nobody should use it

Last edited by a moderator:

Artaherzadeh

Reputable
May 17, 2019
Every components has a life, storage devices too including SSD because the NAND flash that powers SSDs has a finite number of “program/erase” (P/E) cycles before it can’t be used anymore.

SSDs are way faster and not I woulnd't compare their price/size to HDDs. I wouldn't get a SSD smaller than 250GB though.

Also you must have downloaded and saved the 500GB data on the HDD in your signature and 500GB does not fit in the 120GB drive. So no worries there.

Where does WD say it's life span is 8TB writes? It can't be right.
So my SSD works fine if I just use it for Windows and don't download or copy anithing on it ? I downloaded games on my SSD then moved them to my HDD. After I read about SSD lifespan, I change the download direction to my HDD. I was wrong the lifespan is 40TB not 8TB.
What happens after that? Buy only quality Samsung SSD’s from now on

Wd green TWB is 40Tb not 8Tb. This is a horrible drive and nobody should use it
I didn't know about SSD lifespan and I couldn't afford a Samsung EVO SSD so I bought a WD SSD. I changed download direction to my HDD and if something happens to my SSD, I will buy a Samsung SSD next time.
Thanks

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
So my SSD works fine if I just use it for Windows and don't download or copy anithing on it ? I downloaded games on my SSD then moved them to my HDD. After I read about SSD lifespan, I change the download direction to my HDD. I was wrong the lifespan is 40TB not 8TB.

Yes 40TB makes sense. You wouldn't need to worry too much about it.

I have a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SATA SSD in a PC as the system drive. It's been used almost on a daily basis and been in there almost 4 years now and total writes to it is 9.8TB. The total writes to it is higher than 40TB but even if that was the case it would last for many years anyway.

WD Green SSDs are not the best out there but when compared to an HDD they're way better for a system drive.

Yes saving large downloads directly to the HDD is a good idea to reduce writing to the SSD.

Not because it's a WD, in general, backup your important data elsewhere and replace it with a better SSD whenever you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.