[SOLVED] What is the average internet connection speed purchased around the world in 2022?

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
You guessed it, I think I'm lagging behind big time with what I currently have.

Just like to know what is currently being purchased by most so that I can set my aim.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Since 2022 isn't here yet, you might want to look at these sites for some comparisons of 2021 data:

https://www.speedtest.net/global-index

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/internet-speeds-by-country
Thanks much appreciated.

Was also wondering if forums members can share what they pay and for how much they get: explained speed and data received and transmitted per month.

I for instance have a 4Mbps\1Mbps connection at the moment and I pay $25.00 per month and use about 500+Gb received and transmitted, it's an uncapped package, but it gets throttled every day when 6.6gb has been reached.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Was also wondering if forums members can share what they pay and for how much they get.
I have 100/100 via Verizon FiOS. TV and internet.
The internet portion is ~$35/month. TV, fees, taxes consume the reast of the ~$130 monthly bill.

I could easily bump that up to gigabit speed if I choose. And choose to spend more $$.
But for my household, we have NO need for faster.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I have 100/100 via Verizon FiOS. TV and internet.
The internet portion is ~$35/month. TV, fees, taxes consume the reast of the ~$130 monthly bill.

I could easily bump that up to gigabit speed if I choose. And choose to spend more $$.
But for my household, we have NO need for faster.
Interesting, thanks for sharing.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
But at the moment I get a speed boost of 4xspeed every night at 00:01, still cant explain that, and my service provider doesn't want my money to take away the limit of 6.6gb per day speed halved by 50%.

Personally I'm still sitting on my 25/1 connection over cable. Costs 24.99€ here.
But there is a 1000/50 available for 50€/month. Not sure about multimedia packs, as I'm not really interested in them. Also not sure about the usage, as the program I monitor doesn't differentiate between stuff to the outside and stuff moving around the local network.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Personally I'm still sitting on my 25/1 connection over cable. Costs 24.99€ here.
But there is a 1000/50 available for 50€/month. Not sure about multimedia packs, as I'm not really interested in them. Also not sure about the usage, as the program I monitor doesn't differentiate between stuff to the outside and stuff moving around the local network.
Great insight.

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
I'm using Spectrum and pay $79.99/mo US dollars for a 400Mb download/20Mb upload package. No data caps or throttling. I use Speedtest.net and consistently get 480Mb down/23 to 25 up. I can download a 60GB game on Steam in less than 10 minutes.

Edit: It took me 17 min to download a 64GB game. Don't want to mislead anyone.

Last edited:

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
My service provider still claims I'm being limited by my hardware, if it is true or not I might get to rent the right hardware starting next year from them and then get access to higher speeds.
By hardware, you mean the modem or wireless router? I bought my own modem and router from Netgear. You have more control over the settings and don't have to keep paying the monthly rental. If they are saying your PC hardware is limiting your speed that is not true. Even a 10 year old potato will get the same results in an internet speed test.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
By hardware, you mean the modem or wireless router? I bought my own modem and router from Netgear. You have more control over the settings and don't have to keep paying the monthly rental. If they are saying your PC hardware is limiting your speed that is not true. Even a 10 year old potato will get the same results in an internet speed test.

Yes the hardware in my house I purchased myself and manage myself, but the router or Access point outside is the ISP's property even thou I paid for it, can't access the login page or alter settings as I see fit, they claim that is the piece of hardware that need to be upgraded to allow faster speeds, even thou it is rated for 150\150Mbps, still only able to get 4Mbps\1mbps over it (highest speed noticed 50Mbps\10Mbps), no slack given, even thou I have tried to renegotiate terms.

Last edited:

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Comparing your connection speed with the average for everyone in the world isn’t particularly helpful.

It depends a lot on where you live. Places with low population density are unlikely to have access to high speed connections.

Developing countries or remote areas in developed countries often get low speeds overall.

USAFRet

Titan
Comparing your connection speed with the average for everyone in the world isn’t particularly helpful.

It depends a lot on where you live. Places with low population density are unlikely to have access to high speed connections.

Developing countries or remote areas in developed countries often get low speeds overall.
But just as discussion topic, it is nice to know what other members here have.

Reactions: Corwin65

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Yes, just a discussion topic, not a comparison and measuring contest.

Just trying to see what future upgrades would suffice me going forward, by gaining info, and not overpaying for a new connection.

In general I know my country is lagging behind the rest of the world, but only in cost per Mbps and not in available connection speeds, is what I have got to be knowledged with this thread so far.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, just a discussion topic, not a comparison and measuring contest.

Just trying to see what future upgrades would suffice me going forward, by gaining info, and not overpaying for a new connection.
The ISP ads make it look like you NEED gigabit performance. If you don't have gigablast, you are a slacker.
Nothing could be further from the truth.

Unless your household is trying to play half a dozen 4k videos, and 3 other gamers, at the same time...that gigabit is bandwidth you will never use.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
The ISP ads make it look like you NEED gigabit performance. If you don't have gigablast, you are a slacker.
Nothing could be further from the truth.

Unless your household is trying to play half a dozen 4k videos, and 3 other gamers, at the same time...that gigabit is bandwidth you will never use.

Very true indeed, well informed.

But upgrades are still nice gifts, regardless how small the increments are. (internet connection)

One does get used to what one has, and in my mind change is a purpose.

Also I would not say that I am unpleased with what connection speed I am currently running at.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Very true indeed, well informed.

But upgrades are still nice gifts, regardless how small the increments are. (internet connection)

One does get used to what one has, and in my mind change is a purpose.

Also I would not say that I am unpleased with what connection speed I am currently running at.
Given similar price, yes I would upgrade the speed plan.

Given extra cost, more internet speed does not make sense for me.

YMMV.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Given similar price, yes I would upgrade the speed plan.

Given extra cost, more internet speed does not make sense for me.

YMMV.

I have monitored the increments for the last years since I got up to speed, and staying on the same price per month just upping the speed seemed like a good method to get value for $$ paid, but now that my ISP is requiring or adapting a new strategy to get more money out of me, it's seems diligent to gain as much knowledge before any change is to be had.

USAFRet

Titan
I have monitored the increments for the last years since I got up to speed, and staying on the same price per month just upping the speed seemed like a good method to get value for $$ paid, but now that my ISP is requiring or adapting a new strategy to get more money out of me, it's seems diligent to gain as much knowledge before any change is to be had.
From 15/15, through 25/25, 50/50, 75/75...and now 100/100, my basic bill from Verizon has not changed.
Basically auto upgrades from them.
If I wanted to upgrade on my own....more $$.

Who knows what the future will bring.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
From 15/15, through 25/25, 50/50, 75/75...and now 100/100, my basic bill from Verizon has not changed.
Basically auto upgrades from them.
If I wanted to upgrade on my own....more $$.

Who knows what the future will bring.

Very computive that it works the same here as in other places in the world, and did you ever have to upgrade any networking related hardware to make those increments possible?

USAFRet

Titan
Very computive that it works the same here as in other places in the world, and did you ever have to upgrade any networking related hardware to make those increments possible?
No, but I did anyway.

The Verizon supplied ActionTec MI424WR would do all of that.
But I needed a better WiFi coverage.

I changed to the Verizon G1100. It was on sale from Verizon for $100. That fee was spread over the next 3 monthly payments...$33 each. That was probably 5 years ago, when I had 50/50 service.
If I wanted to get gigabit service, no hardware change needed.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
You can now probably read that I'm trying to rate if renting new equipment from my ISP to make better speeds available, is even required other than what they want to happen.

With information from this thread I can make some calculations.