[SOLVED] What is the best cpu for streaming/gaming?

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
So I currently have and i7-6700k, its paired with an rtx 2070 super

I know AMD had more cores and thread count, I don’t mind wether itd be Intel or AMD. Ive been told that next gen games will need a 6c/12t cpu or a minimum 6c/8t cpu, thats what i was told. So obviously if and when i would upgrade i would need a new motherboard. What about RAM?
I was looking at the i7-9700k for intel...possibly the9900k(idk) i know intel made new cpus. For AMD i was looking at the R7 3700x or 3800x. Whats a good recommendation? Something thatll last me a few years, possibly more. I tried streaming apex and on the viewers end the video quality suffered and stutters.

CURRENT SPECS: i7-6700k
Noctua nh-d15 cpu cooler
Msi z170a gaming m5 motherboard
24gb of ram (dont know speed)
Rtx 2070 super FE
1tb hhd
240 ssd
EVGA supernova g2 750w psu
Fractal design r5 case

Last edited:
Solution
So I currently have and i7-6700k, its paired with an rtx 2070 super

I know AMD had more cores and thread count, I don’t mind wether itd be Intel or AMD. Ive been told that next gen games will need a 6c/12t cpu or a minimum 6c/8t cpu, thats what i was told. So obviously if and when i would upgrade i would need a new motherboard. What about RAM?
I was looking at the i7-9700k for intel...possibly the9900k(idk) i know intel made new cpus. For AMD i was looking at the R7 3700x or 3800x. Whats a good recommendation? Something thatll last me a few years, possibly more. I tried streaming apex and on the viewers end the video quality suffered and stutters.

CURRENT SPECS: i7-6700k
Noctua nh-d15 cpu cooler
Msi z170a gaming m5 motherboard
24gb of ram (dont know speed)
Rtx 2070 super FE
1tb hhd
240 ssd
EVGA supernova g2 750w psu
Fractal design r5 case
It depends on your budget for upgrades. The most cost effective solution to double your core and thread count would be a Ryzen 3700X and a B550 board. You could use your DDR4 memory if you absolutely had to but I expect the speed is probably 2400 (guessing) and Ryzen needs fast memory like 3600.

The best CPU your current board can use is a 7700K leaving you with the same core and thread count you have now so not really gonna help.

As for an Intel solution, the new Intel Comet Lake CPU's are very good but more costly than the AMD but if you have the budget you could always go with an i7-10700K and a Z490 board.

The last option I have is to wait for Zen 3 from AMD to see what that brings, unless you have to upgrade right now.

InvalidError

Titan
The 'best' CPU for anything is: the fastest you can afford.

The fastest CPUs that still make sense from an at least somewhat cost-conscious point of view, I'd agree those go to the i7-10700k and Ryzen 3700X. Beyond that, you really need to have specific use cases to justify the substantial extra expense of stepping further up. (Or not care much about cost.)

Reactions: Gaming7Ray

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
It depends on your budget for upgrades. The most cost effective solution to double your core and thread count would be a Ryzen 3700X and a B550 board. You could use your DDR4 memory if you absolutely had to but I expect the speed is probably 2400 (guessing) and Ryzen needs fast memory like 3600.

The best CPU your current board can use is a 7700K leaving you with the same core and thread count you have now so not really gonna help.

As for an Intel solution, the new Intel Comet Lake CPU's are very good but more costly than the AMD but if you have the budget you could always go with an i7-10700K and a Z490 board.

The last option I have is to wait for Zen 3 from AMD to see what that brings, unless you have to upgrade right now.
so the most i would spend is 1k because i pretty much have everything else for the build, my main goal is rgb.my ram speed is 2133 mhz. like i said i have the case, the power supply, extra fans, my gpu, my storage. ram id want to be rgb. im doing a liquid cooling system (rgb as wel), motherboard if possible to be rgb or all black. what about the 3800x as my cpu if i went with amd? would u reccomend a B550 board? buying this upgrade might be soon or possibly next year near march or june. do you think the 3700x or 3800x will last years? ecspecially next gen gaming??

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
The 'best' CPU for anything is: the fastest you can afford.

The fastest CPUs that still make sense from an at least somewhat cost-conscious point of view, I'd agree those go to the i7-10700k and Ryzen 3700X. Beyond that, you really need to have specific use cases to justify the substantial extra expense of stepping further up. (Or not care much about cost.)
the main thing id do would be streaming/gaming. i mean will they last a good while? im just concerned about next gen games. so if you say the 3700x what about the 3800x or even the 3900x? is there a big difference between the three ,one better than the other? and what motherboard would you reccomend (being black or rgb)

so the most i would spend is 1k because i pretty much have everything else for the build, my main goal is rgb.my ram speed is 2133 mhz. like i said i have the case, the power supply, extra fans, my gpu, my storage. ram id want to be rgb. im doing a liquid cooling system (rgb as wel), motherboard if possible to be rgb or all black. what about the 3800x as my cpu if i went with amd? would u reccomend a B550 board? buying this upgrade might be soon or possibly next year near march or june. do you think the 3700x or 3800x will last years? ecspecially next gen gaming??
If you want to buy now the 3700X with a B550 board would be fine. If you wait till later, the new Zen3 CPU's will be out with improved performance over Zen 2. You'll definitely need to replace your ram for use with Ryzen.

Solution

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
The 3700X should be fine for gaming and streaming. If you're willing to spend more for an extra bit of speed and more cores that's up to you. Here's a comparison of them to see the specs vs price. You will probably want a better cooler than the stock model so figure the cost for that too.
gotcha so i picked all this stuff out...i just realized i picked the (wifi) motherboard by accident

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor | $339.98 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler | Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | $159.99 @ Best Buy
Motherboard | Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard | $188.35 @ Amazon
Memory | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory | $84.99 @ Newegg
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $773.31
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-21 21:47 EDT-0400 |

Last edited:

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
With newer GPUs (1650 and up) that have the new NVsync, you can offload most of the stream encoding to the GPU, in which case you don't need much extra CPU-power for streaming.
yea, i just dont think im using my 2070 super to its potential. i havent used dx12 for ray tracing because it makes my game look like crap (tried BF5) it made my frames drop worse and the game stuttered..