[SOLVED] What is the best GPU for my CPU?

Apr 10, 2020
Hi, I have a I7-870 and I want a new GPU for it. What would be the best GPU to game with for my I7-870 without bottlenecking (too much)?

Solution
HD5450 has a passmark rating of 231. Yikes!! indeed.
I might suggest something like a GTX1050ti with a rating of 6365 that should run on even a 300w psu.

But, CSGO is a cpu intensive game and you may be more limited by your processor than you think.
Try the test above.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi, I have a I7-870 and I want a new GPU for it. What would be the best GPU to game with for my I7-870 without bottlenecking (too much)?

Hi @abdeljalildidou

Due to the age of your i7, I'd not suggest anything over a GTX 1060 or RX 580/1650+ and even those would more than likely be overkill.

Whats your budget? That'll help us narrow down ideas.

Rough Breakdown i7 870 + different GPU's (scroll down)

1060 + i7 870 Games
RX580 + i7 870 Games

Whats the rest of your systems specs? Especially your PSU.

Last edited:
What do you have now?
What is your budget?

Do you play fast action games or do you play cpu centric games like sims, mmo and strategy games?

Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Reactions: Mrgr74
Apr 10, 2020
What do you have now?
What is your budget?

Do you play fast action games or do you play cpu centric games like sims, mmo and strategy games?

Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.
Well I wouldn’t look at my current GPU since I just found this PC in my attic and want to upgrade it (it’s a Radeon HD 5450, yikes!). I can hardly run CSGO on low graphics on 60 fps.

My budget is maybe like 200-300 dollars if it’ll be a big help to my system.

Apr 10, 2020
Hi @abdeljalildidou

Due to the age of your i7, I'd not suggest anything over a GTX 1060 or RX 580/1650+ and even those would more than likely be overkill.

Whats your budget? That'll help us narrow down ideas.

Rough Breakdown i7 870 + different GPU's (scroll down)

1060 + i7 870 Games
RX580 + i7 870 Games

Whats the rest of your systems specs? Especially your PSU.

Thank you so much for the links.

My budget is like 200-300 dollars if it’s a good card.

My specs are:
RAM: 8gb DDR3
PSU: i dont know which type but its a 450W PSU
and the case has 2 slots for 1 GPU

HD5450 has a passmark rating of 231. Yikes!! indeed.
I might suggest something like a GTX1050ti with a rating of 6365 that should run on even a 300w psu.

But, CSGO is a cpu intensive game and you may be more limited by your processor than you think.
Try the test above.

Solution