[SOLVED] What is the best Linux for security?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

New Void

Commendable
Nov 27, 2016
Hello,

I am a fool who uses Windows 10 with Tor (Opera when I want speed) and VeraCrypt, expecting quality security. Now the revelation of my blindness has come and I wish to improve the security of my PC so have researched and narrowed my decision down to using these softwares in conjunction:

• Linux
  • Virtual machine (Virtual Box)
  • Whonix (Debian GNU/Linux based high security OS)

The problem is that I do not know which Linux is both easy to use yet secure (Ubuntu?) or does it not matter because I will be using Whonix? Any answers are greatly appreciated and if you have any alternatives or a simple guide for installation I would be massively grateful as everything looks SO COMPLICATED TO INSTALL) I will still use Windows 10 in a dual boot for gaming once I figure that out.

Thank you, very, very, very much.

Solution
As USAFRet said it is not necessary to have VM installed to utilize a Linux distro.

Although running Linux in a VM you don't have the hassle of dual booting and the occasional no Windows boot and having to repair the boot records etc. You have to allocate some system resources like CPU cores, RAM and storage space to the VM which will be used only when the VM software and the actual guest OS are running. On the other hand some of the features or functionalities of the guest OS would not be fully operational in a VM, not like when it is installed as a stand alone OS or in dual boot with another OS.

Also a plus, as far as security is concerned, is that you can use the guest OS in the VM like a sandbox for testing some application or...
If one MUST run or desires to run some Windows-only applications, then those applications can still be done/used within Windows a bit more safely contained within a VM under one of any of hundreds of Linux host options....

But, in today's world, it is safest to assume that no one surfs to assorted websites without essentially everyone knowing it...; any where someone goes is known/logged by the ISP anyway...

There is no real 'anonymous'...

'Ubuntu'? LOL! (They are about like Microsoft with the 'telemetry'; who knows if/what they sell to others)

After all the hooplah a few years back over their monitoring 'telemetry', which just so happened to include everywhere a user goes/every thing he/she does, every last click?? Canonical earned no friendship awards with the hard-core Nix-ers with that one...!

The only reason I ever used Windows is because of gaming performance which is significantly greater and CAD software performance but I will swap to Linux now and learn the software properly. Though I still need a browser to use on the OS and with tor "compromised" what do I do...

Accept that your ISP knows where you visit, and, surf accordingly...

There really is no 'safe from all eyes' surfing......

If you perhaps live in North Korea or Tiananmen City and are worried about seizure of computer and search of browser and interception of your photo collection and/or Bible verses, just use a Live Linux from USB with no records kept.... Your Linux Live distro is for data recovery purposes, after all. If you wish a persistent install so can install Chrome and assorted packages/tools/software, use a $10 ea 32 GB flash drive to install it to...even that install can be encrypted....

So Chrome feeds Google that I read about firearms, and that steers me to firearms websites on Facebook? Who cares, really... (only my opinion, but, I understand some worry about such things...in which case, avoid Microsoft and Ubuntu...and Chrome/Google....

Last edited:
Linux MInt is a joy to use, these days....and easier to install and update than even Windows...

I9cEQho.jpg

(just a few minutes after testing number of extra clicks required to make encrypted Linux Mint...it took two extra clicks within the GUI guided install. plus entering of passphrase!)

Last edited: