[SOLVED] What is the best processor to get to replace the AMD A8-6600K?

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Hello,

I have a AMD A8-6600K processor with a AMD 580 GUP. What is the best processor to get to replace the AMD A8-6600K?

Are there any restrictions to my motherboard taking new/more modern processor? My computer is from 2014.

Thanks.

Solution
How do I tell what limits my motherboard?
Your board supports only CPU with FM2 socket... So you can't Install different socket CPU on that board...

Gigabyte GA-A520 is AM4 socket Board.. that supports AMD Ryzen Processors.. from AMD A8 9600 to AMD Ryzen 5000 series...
So you can select upto 20 different processor that can run on your motherboard...

Best I can say you can run AMD Ryzen 5 5600.. on that Gigabyte GA-A520 board which I am suggesting...
If you can spend more.. then get a Gigabyte or MSI B550 board.. those boards can overclock AMD Ryzen CPUs and can extract more performance.. like 5-10% more...

While A520 chipset boards are basic boards.. you can use that board for Casual Setup...
But People who want good...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hello,

I have a AMD A8-6600K processor with a AMD 580 GUP. What is the best processor to get to replace the AMD A8-6600K?

Are there any restrictions to my motherboard taking new/more modern processor? My computer is from 2014.

Thanks.

You can use up to an Athlon X4 880K. However, I would not recommend doing so as you won't see much of a benefit. This is a budget platform that was abandoned for good nearly five years ago. A CPU that's a significant upgrade worth making would involve a new motherboard and DDR4 RAM.

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Download this program (HWINFO) - https://www.fosshub.com/HWiNFO.html?dwl=hwi_634.exe

Start the program. When the program opens at the left you will see "Motherboard" click on that and at the right you will see the name and the model. Need that.

If you can't see anything on the right just close the windows that are hovering over the right section.

Ok I've done that.

Motherboard... "MSI A55M-E35 (MS-7721)"

Chipsset..,."AMD A55 (Hudson-D2)"

BIOS date... "10/25/2013"

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
You can use up to an Athlon X4 880K. However, I would not recommend doing so as you won't see much of a benefit. This is a budget platform that was abandoned for good nearly five years ago. A CPU that's a significant upgrade worth making would involve a new motherboard and DDR4 RAM.

Hi,

What type of Motherboard would you suggest to go with my 580 AMD GPU.

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Depends on budget.
"How long's a piece of string?" hahaha, yes you are correct.

Well I would want as much power as I need for Solidworks 3D rendering, general design programs/work and of course 3TV online racing. Solidworks does not use AMD GUPs for rendering so I need CPU for that.

Maybe tell what the top, middle and bottom is. (I guess I'm at the bottom at the moment?)

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Save some money ang get Ryzen 5 3400G + motherboard + RAM

By the way, You can upgrade your a8 6600K to A10 7850K if your Mobo if FM2+ socket.

Why would it save money?

What Motherboard would you suggest for my circumstances and needs?

"to A10 7850K if your Mobo if FM2+ socket."... can you please explain this a little for me. I'm a complete noob with the inside of a computer. Trying to learn things now though.

Thanks.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
"How long's a piece of string?" hahaha, yes you are correct.

Well I would want as much power as I need for Solidworks 3D rendering, general design programs/work and of course 3TV online racing. Solidworks does not use AMD GUPs for rendering so I need CPU for that.

Maybe tell what the top, middle and bottom is. (I guess I'm at the bottom at the moment?)

When I put together a build, the retailers want payment in currency, not in vague concepts of "top" or "bottom." If you don't have an actual physical budget of what you want to/can spend on these improvements, your planning is not yet at the stage where anyone can talk specifics.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Why would it save money?

"to A10 7850K if your Mobo if FM2+ socket."... can you please explain this a little for me. I'm a complete noob with the inside of a computer. Trying to learn things now though.

Thanks.

Technically, upgrading the CPU to one that can use this motherboard would save a lot of money. However, I don't see it as having any point unless you literally found it for free; the platform is so old that if you're struggling with an A6-6600K, you'll struggle with any CPU on this platform.

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
When I put together a build, the retailers want payment in currency, not in vague concepts of "top" or "bottom." If you don't have an actual physical budget of what you want to/can spend on these improvements, your planning is not yet at the stage where anyone can talk specifics.

Money isn't really a concern, I'm more interested in getting something that will last for the next good while. Furture proofing. Still I don't want to throw money away on a set up that I will only ever use 50% of. I really don't know where the top is or even what tasks a top of the range PC completes.

Solidworks, design 3D rendering, 3TV online racing, photography & files, (large Raw files). Video editing, making. Photoshop, etc...

Now I will be putting everything in myself so am trying to learn as much as I can.

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Money isn't really a concern, I'm more interested in getting something that will last for the next good while. Furture proofing. Still I don't want to throw money away on a set up that I will only ever use 50% of. I really don't know where the top is or even what tasks a top of the range PC completes.

Solidworks, design 3D rendering, 3TV online racing, photography & files, (large Raw files). Video editing, making. Photoshop, etc...

Now I will be putting everything in myself so am trying to learn as much as I can.

In short, I don't have a budget. I have tasks I want to be able to do without being held up.

Why would it save money?

Thanks.

Upgrading your current Pc will not gonna gain much performance improvements.. you can get AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Gigabyte GA-A520M motherboard with 8GB DDR4 HyperX Fury at relatively cheap price.. and you will get 2-3 times better CPU performance I think.. may be you can get them all at just 220-230$

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Upgrading your current Pc will not gonna gain much performance improvements.. you can get AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Gigabyte GA-A520M motherboard with 8GB DDR4 HyperX Fury at relatively cheap price.. and you will get 2-3 times better CPU performance I think.. may be you can get them all at just 220-230$

Thanks,

How furture proofed would these 3 be? Can I add any processor to that motherboard? Or are there restrictions to a motherboard like that.? Maybe a bigger motherboard now would save in the long run?

if I wanted 5+ times more performance what 3 things would you suggest?... as I can spend more than $230. Although it is good to know that I can double my performance for a little investment.

How do I tell what limits my motherboard?
Your board supports only CPU with FM2 socket... So you can't Install different socket CPU on that board...

Gigabyte GA-A520 is AM4 socket Board.. that supports AMD Ryzen Processors.. from AMD A8 9600 to AMD Ryzen 5000 series...
So you can select upto 20 different processor that can run on your motherboard...

Best I can say you can run AMD Ryzen 5 5600.. on that Gigabyte GA-A520 board which I am suggesting...
If you can spend more.. then get a Gigabyte or MSI B550 board.. those boards can overclock AMD Ryzen CPUs and can extract more performance.. like 5-10% more...

While A520 chipset boards are basic boards.. you can use that board for Casual Setup...
But People who want good performance.. they always choose overclockable boards..
And those boards can easily run Ryzen 9 5950X (16 core 32 thread CPU) which is a monster of performance..

As for you if you can spend total 250$ and you don't have dedicated Graphics Card now... I suggest you to use following upgrade.

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (it is Ryzen APU with integrated AMD Radeon Vega Graphics)

Kingston Hyper-X Fury 2x8GB or 1x8GB (depend on your budget) DDR4 3000Mhz RAM

Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite (cheapest B550 board, atleast in my country)
Msi B550 Tomahawk max (Best and very popular B550 motherboard)

(Choose your motherboard according to your budget.)

And that combo will provide you very good performance.. as you will upgrade your 7 year old CPU to almost a year old CPU...

And Number of Cores are same but Threads per cores are doubled.. with generation difference...

I can say you will be able see 2-3time better CPU performance and 3-4times GPU performance...

All and all you will get good performance after CPU Mobo RAM upgrade...

(Quick note may be you need to replace your Power supply if that power supply don't have a 8 pin EPS connector (that powers CPU) but that is also available at fairly cheap price like 30$ or so.. )
So even after spending on PSU your total cost will not exceed 270-280$...

When we talk about future proofing... That system can run I think 95% games at low to medium settings at 1080p and in future if you can install Good Graphics Card like GTX 1660 super.. that system can serve you like 5 years..
Without GPU, you can use that system, I think 3 years without any further upgrades...

Last edited:
Solution

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020

But People who want good performance.. they always choose overclockable boards..
And those boards can easily run Ryzen 9 5950X (16 core 32 thread CPU) which is a monster of performance..

As for you if you can spend total 250$ and you don't have dedicated Graphics Card now... I suggest you to use following upgrade.

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (it is Ryzen APU with integrated AMD Radeon Vega Graphics)

Kingston Hyper-X Fury 2x8GB or 1x8GB (depend on your budget) DDR4 3000Mhz RAM

Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite (cheapest B550 board, atleast in my country)
Msi B550 Tomahawk max (Best and very popular B550 motherboard)

(Choose your motherboard according to your budget.)

And that combo will provide you very good performance.. as you will upgrade your 7 year old CPU to almost a year old CPU...

And Number of Cores are same but Threads per cores are doubled.. with generation difference...

I can say you will be able see 2-3time better CPU performance and 3-4times GPU performance...

All and all you will get good performance after CPU Mobo RAM upgrade...

(Quick note may be you need to replace your Power supply if that power supply don't have a 8 pin EPS connector (that powers CPU) but that is also available at fairly cheap price like 30$ or so.. )
So even after spending on PSU your total cost will not exceed 270-280$...

When we talk about future proofing... That system can run I think 95% games at low to medium settings at 1080p and in future if you can install Good Graphics Card like GTX 1660 super.. that system can serve you like 5 years..
Without GPU, you can use that system, I think 3 years without any further upgrades...

Amazing, many thanks. I have much to reserch and read up on now over the weekend, thanks.

I will post back here after I do some reading.

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011