What Is The Best RAM?

FirstTimeBuilders

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
I like a lot of ram companies but the one that stands out for me is corsair, but they are the most expensive. So what is your take on the best RAM? I like Corsair Dominator Platinums, Corsair Vengeance pro red, G skill Ripjaw X red, and the patriot Ram red, I want 16gb at 1866 or higher. I have an ASUS maximus Hero (red) and would like if the ram would match the board. So what is the best in your opinion? Thank you!

Solution
I wouldn't get Corsair RAM, it is usually overpriced. Get G.Skill. They have great prices and performance.

When shopping for RAM in general, get something with a latency of 9 or below, or CL9. The "CL" number is more important that the actual speed, expressed in HMz. Now, if you can find a ram kit with a low CL number AND a high speed, that is great. As for speeds, the standard is 1600MHz, followed by the "gaming standard" of 1866 MHz, and then 2133MHz, and finally 2400MHz.

pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f31866c9d16gsr
I wouldn't get Corsair RAM, it is usually overpriced. Get G.Skill. They have great prices and performance.

When shopping for RAM in general, get something with a latency of 9 or below, or CL9. The "CL" number is more important that the actual speed, expressed in HMz. Now, if you can find a ram kit with a low CL number AND a high speed, that is great. As for speeds, the standard is 1600MHz, followed by the "gaming standard" of 1866 MHz, and then 2133MHz, and finally 2400MHz.

pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f31866c9d16gsr

Solution

FirstTimeBuilders

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014

If i can get the corsair vengeance pro red 16gb for 150 is it worth it or still go with something else?

Deuce65

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013

G skill is my preferred brand. But here is the thing with memory. Once you have picked out your specs (for example, 4gbx2, 1600, 9-9-9-24), you pick a major brand like corsair, g skill, crucial, etc. They're all basically the same. The specs are identical, support is identical (all major brands have lifetime warranties), the heat spreaders don't actually do anything... And of course, most of these companies don't actually make memory anyways so it's all coming from the same few places....There is simply no reason at all to pay extra money for Corsair super duper high tech ultra platinum dominator memory.
Now if you are looking for memory to bench\OC it makes a difference, but in that case you aren't so much interested in the brand as the manufacturer anyway.

FX6350

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014

No man. 1033/1333 being standard, 1600 for gaming.