Question What is the best utilization of my extra 5.25" drive bay?

hustleking

Reputable
Nov 8, 2017
I really like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0LO90...colid=TU3M5DTHZSH2&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

But I wouldn't need that many extra USB ports. It would be perfect if they dropped some of those to add HDMI.
I was also looking into sound cards that have drive bay controls like this X-Fi Fatal1ty:

View: http://i.imgur.com/GeOMmLb.jpg

Price isn't really the issue but I only have 1 extra 5.25" bay so I'm looking for something that is packed with features, ideally with similar offerings to the ones above or better, such as hdmi.

Also..these seem cool but I dont really know what it would be used for..can anyone explain this to me? lol

https://www.silverstonetek.com/legacy.php?pid=39&area=en&model=MFP51&tno=5

(I don't use liquid cooling, I'm not looking for accessory drawers or cup holders)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Addtional HDMI like that usually rely on the GPU having an internal output. Some of the VR friendly models have that. Not sure how else one could be added that wouldn't be a virtual display adapter, depends on what it is for I suppose.

The silverstone thing is basically a text display. I imagine it comes with default software for showing what is playing from something like Windows Media Player, but based on the description it can probably be set up to display things like RSS feeds. So you could have the weather or local news scroll through on it. They mention e-mail, but that would probably mean setting something up like your own local mail server, can't imagine it constantly polling the internet.

There are fancy fan controllers that are all digital you can still get. Dumb fan controllers.

2.5" drive bays so you can treat SSDs and HDD like plug in cards. Hot swappable bays for 3.5" drives.

Not sure if they are still common, but 5 1/4" to 3.5" drive adapter bays (internal) with additional cooling and temp sensors on them existed.

LGR just reviewed a cigarette lighter/accessory port and cup holder combo...

anotthatgreatdane

Reputable
Nov 15, 2019
I just bought a Msi VR boost. 2 usb 3. 0 and 1 hdmi. Works a charm!
I thought about the same one you had but i just need sd and even thats rare.
Since my MB dont have nice fan control i'd kinda go with that.
OR cigarette lighter :D

2,5 inch sata slot for ssd is nice as well

hustleking

Reputable
Nov 8, 2017
Addtional HDMI like that usually rely on the GPU having an internal output. Some of the VR friendly models have that. Not sure how else one could be added that wouldn't be a virtual display adapter, depends on what it is for I suppose.

My GPU doesn't have an internal HDMI but I could work around that by running the cord out the back and into a regular port on the GPU. It would help me a lot because every now and then I hook my pc up to the main tv using a 75ft hdmit cable that I can't leave plugged in. It would be much easier if I could just plug it in to the front of the pc instead of the back.

Really what I need is either the best, most feature rich card reader that I can find...or a sound card with controls similar to the offerings on the X-fi Fatal1ty.