[SOLVED] What is the best way to split an internet connection to multiple computers and secure it as well?

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Hi,

I wanted to know what all I would require to split an Incoming network to say 5 computers.
I also would like to restrict access to websites to prevent internal data leaks.
What would be the best way to setup such a network?

I can't prevent these computers from accessing the internet though as I would be sending out emails to all those working on these systems, and would be using online team management software to monitor progress.

Solution
To be secure you need software on the end device to protect the data. To be really secure you place the data on a different server and only allow remote access where you can prevent web browsers and other software from running.

There is nothing you can do if you can not trust the people with the data. It can easily be cut and paste into some email and send out of the company.

Filtering web sites is pretty much becoming a thing of the past. Almost all data is encrypted with https so you can't actually see what is being transferred. Microsoft will soon put out encrypted DNS as part of win10 so you can no longer spy on the URL lookup. IP address filters mean very little because sites are all running in managed server farms...
To be secure you need software on the end device to protect the data. To be really secure you place the data on a different server and only allow remote access where you can prevent web browsers and other software from running.

There is nothing you can do if you can not trust the people with the data. It can easily be cut and paste into some email and send out of the company.

Filtering web sites is pretty much becoming a thing of the past. Almost all data is encrypted with https so you can't actually see what is being transferred. Microsoft will soon put out encrypted DNS as part of win10 so you can no longer spy on the URL lookup. IP address filters mean very little because sites are all running in managed server farms. A single IP can be used by multiple web sites and/or it will just come back to being owned by some large hosting corporation like google.

To filter restrict data you end up having to place the filtering software on the end stations before the encryption takes place.

Solution