[SOLVED] What is the better choice , to buy an 8gmb ram with 2400mhz or adual-channeled ram with two 4gb ddr3 1200 sticks

Dec 29, 2020
I want to uprade my pc's ram , but am confused b/w dual chanelled ram with a single stick of4gb ddr3 1200mhz or sinle channeled 2400 ram , does thetwo sticks addup to give 8gb 2400 mhz ?

Solution
There were some higher Mhz ddr3 modules available, but generally to take advantage of those speeds, you would need to overclock your ram.

The speed of the ram is a different spec than single or dual channeled, which is determined by the motherboard, not the ram. And generally between single and dual channeling, the performance is within 10% of each other.
There were some higher Mhz ddr3 modules available, but generally to take advantage of those speeds, you would need to overclock your ram.

The speed of the ram is a different spec than single or dual channeled, which is determined by the motherboard, not the ram. And generally between single and dual channeling, the performance is within 10% of each other.

Reactions: AvengerAayush1232
Solution
From what I remember RAM speed with DDR3 had a much smaller impact on performance than RAM speed makes on DDR4 systems. Dual vs single channel still made a significant difference with DDR3.
I think a big part of that is because ddr4 systems expect higher memory speeds and operate slower without it. The most difference I've ever seen someone post about was a max of 10%, and in my own experience I only saw differences in benchmarks and couldn't tell a single thing was different.

I think a big part of that is because ddr4 systems expect higher memory speeds and operate slower without it. The most difference I've ever seen someone post about was a max of 10%, and in my own experience I only saw differences in benchmarks and couldn't tell a single thing was different.
This is just a random comparison I found but it is similar to others I have seen. There can be much more than 10% difference but sometimes much smaller. It is very game depending and I expect also depending on the rest of the setup and resolution. A big thing I have noticed with slow RAM is stuttering.

View: https://youtu.be/kP9F0h7qP_g

Last edited: