[SOLVED] What is the correct price class for a decent mouse?

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Or whichever brand is the ones I should be looking at, I just randomly selected one and figured I see where mice are where at these days.

Anyways what I got was a mouse that was unprecise when pointing, and had a mouse wheel too far back with too restricting of a middle button press, and then on top of that the braided cable hooks on the edge of the gaming desk when pointing.

Suggestions for mice required.

Solution
Find some place to test it, to see how it fits your hand. At least you can find its dimensions, and compare with a mouse you have in hand.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Logitech MX Master.
Currently, the 3S level.

About $100.

That's what I use, YMMV.

A HID like a mouse is very much person specific.
You could get 10 different recommendation, and none of them fit you.

I'll tell witch mice would fit me: One that has none.

You probably read above and and saw witch features I'd rather not see, and just play with it.

Mouse is a personal choice. Some models may fit your hand better than other models.
You have to find, what works for you.

Personally I like Logitech gaming series.
Currently using Logitech G403.
Before that was G5, G500. They last for quite some time. Last one had to change basically because button switch got worn out. So it was a lot of use for a long time span.
It lived for many years (10 years ? or something like that).

Reactions: gmikkonen and iTRiP

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
What do you make of a Genuis mouse? I,ve had a Logitech wireless rechargeable before, and that wasn't capable of gaming with 24/7...365.

Yeah I'd say I,ve seen a logitech last for ten years, infact seen two last years.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
My hands are big, so I enjoy bigger mouses with cables and good and lasting buttons, and precise optics.

I am not interested in RGB stuff. So Logitech MX 518 is fine for me. There can be better mouses, but I think I am paying the right price for MX 518.

But it is very much arguable as it is my personal choice.

Reactions: iTRiP

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Now I,ve found another mouse that fits the requirement for me better than what I had chosen.

Cooler master , looking at it now seems a CM310 model.

Has 1.8m cable, and it's not braided by the looks of it. previous one had 1.5 and was too short, my current malfunctioning mouse has 1.8m cable
and just about reaches the pc case.

RGB, my current mouse has rgb lights so I'll just stick with that.

Or whichever brand is the ones I should be looking at, I just randomly selected one and figured I see where mice are where at these days.

Anyways what I got was a mouse that was unprecise when pointing, and had a mouse wheel too far back with too restricting of a middle button press, and then on top of that the braided cable hooks on the edge of the gaming desk when pointing.

Here ya go.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-Button-Wired-Computer-1-Pack/dp/B005EJH6RW?th=1

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Go find a store that has mouses you can put your mitts on. Mouses and keyboards are the single most personalized equipment for any pc.

If they don't fit your hand, don't respond how you like, don't have the tactile feel you crave etc etc etc, then the cost is totally irrelevant.

I had a cheapo 'freebie' Dell optical mouse that was simply awesome (to me), it survived me, 2x daughters and a son before coming back to me for another few years. It's only downside was no wheel. It was the perfect weight, perfect fit, had just the right click pressure and was as accurate as any other mouse I've owned.

And was free.

Getting a Quality mouse is all well and good, getting a mouse that actually works for you, and not against you, is far more important. So until you figure out what exactly you are looking for with weights, speeds, grip, sizes, buttons, macro buttons etc, suggestions or recommendations are fruitless.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Go find a store that has mouses you can put your mitts on. Mouses and keyboards are the single most personalized equipment for any pc.

If they don't fit your hand, don't respond how you like, don't have the tactile feel you crave etc etc etc, then the cost is totally irrelevant.

I had a cheapo 'freebie' Dell optical mouse that was simply awesome (to me), it survived me, 2x daughters and a son before coming back to me for another few years. It's only downside was no wheel. It was the perfect weight, perfect fit, had just the right click pressure and was as accurate as any other mouse I've owned.

And was free.

Getting a Quality mouse is all well and good, getting a mouse that actually works for you, and not against you, is far more important. So until you figure out what exactly you are looking for with weights, speeds, grip, sizes, buttons, macro buttons etc, suggestions or recommendations are fruitless.

Right noted with thanks, As it stands now this pc upgrade might not be so easily solved.

At the moment my current mouse only has one small hiccup being the mouse wheel scrolling both up and down simultaneously, well besides that being the reason to get an replacement or upgrade, I'm finding it hard to to match all the other accustomnessess with a new one.

Thanks for all the input, I'll keep ordering and trying out mice and with much luck I'll find a suitable one.
Seems the price class isn't consequential at all as I might have thought at the start of this thread.

Last edited:

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
What is your current mouse? Mouse pieces are available in Ali Express and you can find an replace the wheel yourself for some known models.

I was in such a situation and I replaced my Logitech G400s wheel myself.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Right noted with thanks, As it stands now this pc upgrade might not be so easily solved.
Heh, most pc upgrades are never easily solved when personal items, like monitors, keyboards, mouses, mouse pads, lighting, rgb etc are involved. It's easy to swap a cpu or ram or gpu, 10 minutes and you are back up and running, but personal items involve the person, and they gotta fit the person, or the experience is bunk. 🤣

Mice are personal since every bodies hands, use, and likes are all different.

For work I use a Razer Deathadder Chroma mouse, had it since 2015 without issues, IT Manager so i sit at my desk around 8 hours a day.
For home i have a Logitech G903 mouse with the Powerplay wireless charging mouse pad, had it since 2019 and have never had the mouse plugged in to charge..... very nice feature.
For my laptop i use to have a Razer mouse, forget what it was called but was wireless but you could plug a usb in the front of it to make it corded to charge the battery. Now im using a Asus Gladius II wireless mouse.

DavidM012

Distinguished
I had a Zelotes gaming mouse for £15 7 buttons variable speed/dpi up to 7000 and a nice additional 'double click' left mouse button which I used a lot in games when you have to mash buttons, but I found it tended to fall apart with a few years usage first the acrylic wheel spindle wore through but I got a screwdriver bit from a jeweller's screwdriver and contrived to make a steel spindle for it which worked well for a while, then it was keeping it going. It was kind of microscopic to get the wheel to balance over the microswitch for the middle mouse button so I used insulation tape to adjust the height of the wheel by 1 or 2 layers of tape to get it quite right. Still wasn't as precise as the original spindle but it worked, near enough.

Had to remove and resolder the mouse wheel array with one from another mouse then the wire started to wear out and then by chance I saw another nearly identical mouse in the pound shop for £5 so it was obviously just a different branded mass produced variety but then the middle wheel button on that stopped working so I pulled the cable and wheel and put them back into the Zelotes and that kept it rolling for about another 6 months and then eventually the whole thing simply stopped working, couldn't be repaired any more, and my soldering iron also died inexplicably working one day not the next so it was all game over for about £50 worth of kit that lasted about 7 years and all they had on the shelves at time of replacement was a 3 button and a wheel optical mouse which performance wise isn't really any different to a £1 pound shop mouse apart from the size for a £5.

I can't tell the difference between any of the various (relatively cheap) optical mouses I've used they all seem to move the pointer at the same speed although faster with the variable speed button on the gaming mouse but it's too fast so I never really used or needed a faster pointer anyway.

So to me something overly complicated that can't be easily resoldered if necessary is probably no and while I kind of like the 16 button gaming mouses too expensive really I wouldn't bite unless I knew the wire was unpluggable and easily replaced rather than soldered and I don't like battery powered wireless mouses 'cos you always have to have spare batteries charging on the go

The ideal mouse to me is wired, optical, has a cable that can be unplugged with a replacement purchased from the manufacturer (though I suppose eventually the controller chip or microswitches could go) so in the end you're going to be buying either odds and ends over time or one good mouse that will last for many years and I always have a spare pound shop mouse for backup 'til i can get to the shops or wait for the mail.

Never really got my hands on other input devices like styluses or those old logitech thumb roller mouses might've used a stylus for drawing might've had a go at some maths with a math app but not really sure how they all work/ what to buy/what they cost. Kind of like OCR (optical character recognition) sometimes you buy a printer with a scanner combined but the cheapies don't last long you might use it more if it was accessible still not sure that OCR took off or where the tech is these days just sometimes it's nice to scan handwriting if you can but it's also fairly inevitable that the equipment breaks after a while I definitely had a variety of those facilities that simply faded away over time so don't want to spend too much & it's so inconvenient when they break. Besides it's all more expense besides a new pc.

Most of the time in the office we just had pretty basic 3 button mouses with a wheel and boxloads of them so a mouse was never an issue they shipped with everything it seemed so they were plenteous.

So in the end you probably might just want a variety of inputs sometimes to process a variety of source material and print it or publish on a web page but it is paying over the odds to have anything more than a mouse and kyb so probably most of it is professional office equipment rather than common general consumer grade electronics.

Haven't used: VR headset (ever), joystick, or controller for years. I mean I had loads of joysticks but they always break and I was always taking them apart to solder a wire back or something but a kyb and mouse has been generally the solid workhorse all the way I suppose if you get into math and language you need ways to input non standard symbols and characters from a variety of sources.

Prefer a mouse to a trackpad though I find them easy to use for windows on a laptop I haven't tried one for gaming but that's even worse when a trackpad breaks when it's built into the laptop so have to open it up just for that.

Might get a razer deathadder mouse for a £20 next time sounds like that one's lasted good.

Never know if someone might revive old mechanical roller mouses or something with ultra engineered precision they only switched to optical because the rollers always picked up dirt and hair like a carpet sweeper.

Last edited:

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Very interesting read indeed, I'm still undecided.

But it's good to get everybody ells read on this mice matter and with this thread we might even change some people's minds to also go for a mouse upgrade and what to consider when doing so.

Last edited:

Michael24

Prominent
Jan 17, 2023

DavidM012

Distinguished
I found another zelotes gaming mouse for a £5 so I bought that. Try one more to see how it goes price went down by £10 since I bought one last so might as well although the side buttons can break I know they can be fixed one or two times with superglue.