[SOLVED] What is the difference between a 3 pin and 4 pin fan?

Jul 21, 2021
I've been thinking about getting new fans for my case but I don't know the difference between a 3 pin fan and 4 pin.

Solution
I've been thinking about getting new fans for my case but I don't know the difference between a 3 pin fan and 4 pin.

A four pin fan can be controlled in Bios thru your Fan curve controller whereas a 3pin fan requires a hub to control the voltage DC. You can plug a 3pin fan into a four pin header however no control in Bios. Some Motherboards now do have DC control in Bios or thru the case power switch.

The three wire connectors are for small chassis fans with lower power consumption. The four wire connectors are for processor fans with higher power consumption. ... Note: When connecting a three wire fan to a four pin fan header, the fan is always on; there is no fan...

A four pin fan can be controlled in Bios thru your Fan curve controller whereas a 3pin fan requires a hub to control the voltage DC. You can plug a 3pin fan into a four pin header however no control in Bios. Some Motherboards now do have DC control in Bios or thru the case power switch.

The three wire connectors are for small chassis fans with lower power consumption. The four wire connectors are for processor fans with higher power consumption. ... Note: When connecting a three wire fan to a four pin fan header, the fan is always on; there is no fan control.

As your thinking about the types of fans then consider ML (Mag Lev) which are quieter, more efficient and last longer.

Solution