Question What is the difference between a green screen and a blue screen?

I got a green screen the other day I attributed to my memory configuration on my AMD Ryzen R5-1600. I am currently running Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 CAS15 2x4GB and Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 CAS16 2x8GB running at the manual settings DDR4-2800 CAS 16-17-17-17-36-66-1t. So far I have only had one instance of the green screen and no bsod since changing my memory settings on the 21st of June.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Do you know what green screen error you encountered?

If you are simply referring to the BSOD that has a green background instead, there is no difference. Just I believe the green screen is only seen on Windows Insider Previews, not mainstream released W10. Technically speaking, exactly the same, it is a BSOD. If you're running insider preview, you won't ever see a blue screen.

Last edited:
I expect these steps will work on insiders - can you set PC up to create minidumps so if it happens again, we can help :)

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/

Thanks, I'll setup the system so that it creates the minidump.

Do you know what green screen error you encountered?

If you are simply referring to the BSOD that has a green background instead, there is no difference. Just I believe the green screen is only seen on Windows Insider Previews, not mainstream released W10. Technically speaking, exactly the same, it is a BSOD. If you're running insider preview, you won't ever see a blue screen.

It gave me some sort of Kernel Security Error - I was watching some youtube video at the time at 720p I'll see if I can find more info.

Colif

Win 11 Master
the actual dumps will show far more than what the text is showing, it will show what drivers are running too, so helps to upload those as well :)

from what I can tell, NVContainer crashed which is part of the Nvidia drivers, so perhaps update them

the actual dumps will show far more than what the text is showing, it will show what drivers are running too, so helps to upload those as well :)

from what I can tell, NVContainer crashed which is part of the Nvidia drivers, so perhaps update them

I double checked. I am running the newest version from NVidia for the GTX 950. The current version is: 430.86.

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
PC Tailor can convert those files, I will see if a friend will look at them as well. Lets see who is first
Is that a competition?

I have the run the dump file and you can see the full report here: https://pste.eu/p/97Mi.html
I will admit I had quite a few issues with symbols on this one, I've tried to fix what I can, and I hope the output is enough. I would say it would be useful if Gardenman also runs the debug to verify and see if they can pull anything else out.

Summary of findings:
BugCheck 139, {3, ffffc58f13c84310, ffffc58f13c84268, 0}
The KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE bug check has a value of 0x00000139. This bug check indicates that the kernel has detected the corruption of a critical data structure.
The faulting module symbol could not be loaded.

Common causes of list entry corruption include:
  • A driver has corrupted a kernel synchronization object, such as a KEVENT (for example double initializing a KEVENT while a thread was still waiting on that same KEVENT, or allowing a stack-based KEVENT to go out of scope while another thread was using that KEVENT). This type of bug check typically occurs in nt!Ke* or nt!Ki* code. It can happen when a thread finishes waiting on a synchronization object or when code attempts to put a synchronization object in the signaled state. Usually, the synchronization object being signaled is the one that has been corrupted.
  • A driver has corrupted a periodic KTIMER. This type of bug check typically occurs in nt!Ke* or nt!Ki* code and involves signaling a timer, or inserting or removing a timer from a timer table.
  • A driver has mismanaged an internal LIST_ENTRY-style linked list. A typical example would be calling RemoveEntryList twice on the same list entry without reinserting the list entry between the two RemoveEntryList calls.
  • A driver has freed a data structure that contains a LIST_ENTRY without removing the data structure from its corresponding list, causing corruption to be detected later when the list is examined after the old pool block has been reused.
  • A driver has used a LIST_ENTRY-style list in a concurrent fashion without proper synchronization, resulting in a torn update to the list.
Microsoft Troubleshooting Steps for this Issue:
  • If you recently added hardware to the system, try removing or replacing it. Or check with the manufacturer to see if any patches are available.
  • If new device drivers or system services have been added recently, try removing or updating them. Try to determine what changed in the system that caused the new bug check code to appear.
  • Check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help pinpoint the device or driver that is causing the error. For more information, see Open Event Viewer. Look for critical errors in the system log that occurred in the same time window as the blue screen.
  • Look in Device Manager to see if any devices are marked with the exclamation point (!). Review the events log displayed in driver properties for any faulting driver. Try updating the related driver.
  • Run a virus detection program. Viruses can infect all types of hard disks formatted for Windows, and resulting disk corruption can generate system bug check codes. Make sure the virus detection program checks the Master Boot Record for infections.
Some things to consider from the report:
  • Your current BIOS version is 5.4, however this is 5.8 available - so a BIOS update may be helpful.
  • If I am not mistaken, I have noticed you are using mixed RAM modules, which can cause conflictions.
  • You will want to ensure your Intel WiFI Link Driver is up to date as far as possible.
  • The VirtualBox software can also cause some issues.
  • I have not come across the HighRez module before, so not sure if this can cause some issues.
  • Are you running some OC (even on your RAM?) you may have to consider remove overclocks to ensure that it has not caused instability.
I know @Colif will be able to add some more input.

Colif

Win 11 Master
No competition, I knew Gardenman wouldn't see this for about 8 or so hours, I just didn't know if you be back again :)

Download Asrock App Store from this website and use it to check you have latest drivers - most of them look pretty new already: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350 Pro4/#Download

This is a mystery
inpoutx64.sys18/10/2008
DLL and driver for direct access to hardware ports

it is a little too old. Its also a mystery as I have looked into it before. The people who made the driver aren't a lot of help but they were ones who asked about serial or parallel port, - https://forums.highrez.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3861

Your motherboard doesn't have either ports so what?

Reactions: PC Tailor
Thanks for looking into this for me. I'll start with the simplest tasks and move on from there to see if I can find any source of the problem. My suspicion is the mixed DDR4 running at DDR4-2800. AMD Ryzen 1000 series CPU's don't like when all four dimm slots are populated and the fact that I'm using mixed RAM at an overclock setting is likely what I believe caused the issue. However, since I recently added HDD's with data on them to my system I will also run antivirus and malware scans.

I'll check the system event log for around the time of the error as well.

Colif

Win 11 Master
He not allowed to retire yet

if anything is overclocked, remove the overclock
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

if you still getting bsod, look at post number 2 in this thread and make sure to do both steps before running the program - https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/

Last edited:
Reactions: PC Tailor
I figured I would have some memory issues since I have a mixed set of Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000. I'm at DDR4-2800 CAS16-17-17-17-36-66-1t timings, but its quad channel - I plan to remove the old 2x4GB set. Because ambient temps are not suitable for overclocking here I have not and will not be returning my CPU to 3875MHz all core boost before I get a decent heat sink. So far I have had no repeat after more then 48 hours of the green screen or any other error. I bet if I went in and changed the -36-66 to -38-66 I would never have another timing issue again.

My current timing increased my core temp on my CPU from idle/low idle from 38C to 48-54C and that is just a memory overclock so I feel even though the computer is mostly stable that those kind of temps. are not what I want long term so I will likely back down to a tight set of 2666 timings. CAS 14... But my overriding instinct is to remove the 2x4GB set and run the new memory at its rated 3000 speed. CAS16

Running at DDR4-2800 CAS 16-17-17-17-36-66-1t @ 1.35v was what was causing the random Green Screen failures. Yesterday, again while watching a video with 29% memory usage (~7127.04MB used) I ran into the issue again. This time a mini-dump was started but failed to write any data to a file before the computer rebooted seconds later. I did notice every time there is a Green Screen it sounds like my speakers are playing a lower pitch static until the reboot occurs.

I then decided to reduce my memory speed to DDR4-2666 CAS 16-18-18-18-28-62-1t (tCL, tRCDWR, tRCDRD, tRP, tRAS, tRC, Cmd2T) @ 1.20v.

Complete Virus and Malware scans have been completed with nothing found.

CPU temperature at the time of yesterday's Green Screen was about 53ºC well within the limits of the AMD R5-1600, the CPU its self is not overclocked and runs at stock speeds and voltage. Other voltages such as SOC are also at their stock values. CPU temps were higher then I like but I was running this computer in a room without AC with an external air temp of 94ºF (34.4C) degrees.

If Green Screen events continue to happen I will remove the Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 CAS 15 (2x4GB) kit and place the 16GB memory kit in the primary A2 and B2 slots and run the memory at its rated XMP settings with just the Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 CAS 16 (2x8GB) kit. This would reduce the problems I am having without a doubt as Ryzen 1000 series CPU's are sensitive to odd memory configurations.

Once I remove the 2x4GB kit I will save it for later use as I plan to build a Ryzen R7-3800X system this fall. I would use a combination of spare and new parts to build the R7-3800X system while also leaving this R5-1600 system intact. Between my spare parts and what I can salvage from this computer I should be able to have two working systems with less then a $1000 USD investment assuming the 3800X sells for $399 USD.

In the end the R5-1600 system would be relegated to the Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 CAS 15 (2x4GB) kit and the R7-3800X system would receive the Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 CAS 16 (2x8GB) kit to keep costs down initially.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Problem with being on the insider build is all drivers are built to work with the release build but insiders isn't due for release for 6 more months so there is always the chance of drivers not working as planned, Microsoft might be changing big things

You don't appear to be running any drivers I would suspect

i think impoutx64.sys is part of virtuibox

did you run memtest?