What is the difference between a "Superclocked GPU" and an "Overclocked GPU"?

GetOwnedGaming

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
So what is Superclocked? I am building a gaming PC and I wanted to overclock the GPU, but if superclocked is the same thing, should I just get a superclocked card? Now the superclocked is the cheapest. There are other cards that are the same but "WINDFORCE". So just tell me what I should get. Please help me!

Here is my PC:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mHsLwP

I hope my question is not too confusing!

Thanks!

Solution
If you overclocked to the same levels that the pre-overclocked gpu was, you'd get the same performance. The biggest advantage with pre-overclocked ones is not the overclock but the coolers which keep temps lower.

GetOwnedGaming

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

Thanks so much! So if I was planning to overclock myself, would it be worth it to get a pre-overclocked GPU, and would I get the same performance boost?

bob hays

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
If you overclocked to the same levels that the pre-overclocked gpu was, you'd get the same performance. The biggest advantage with pre-overclocked ones is not the overclock but the coolers which keep temps lower.

Solution

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

I'd add to the OP's comment, that you are guaranteed to get there out of the box on a pre OC/superOC model and under warranty (huge to me). YMMV on your own, while the pre-OC ones are usually binned chips also and you may get more since they are designed to do this. With the price of many being $10-15 more (some the same price as ref models...LOL) I would never buy ref speeds and always go OC for the fan/heatsink & the guaranteed perf which on many models is a 10% OC or more while being less noisy/hot. I care more about the noise than the temps personally but hey both is great also ;)

IE, lowest 780ti in the list is $599 after rebate unless I missed one about $30 less than any other:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127770&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=780_ti-_-14-127-770-_-Product

http://us.msi.com//comparison/vga
876/928 on stock, while the gamer model (again, cheapest on list) is 1020/1085 in OC mode (comes with 3 modes, OC, Gaming, Silent). I don't like MSI much but that's a huge OC guaranteed. We are talking a ~14-17% clock jump which is huge (depending on how you look at the numbers). Basically free OC under warranty in many cases. I don't understand how ref cards sell on either side. You have no work with these types of models, just a checkbox.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Yes I'm saying buy 780 TI. I'm just saying buy an ALREADY overclocked card out of the box so you do nothing but a checkbox to get it overclocked and it is done WITH warranty sanctioned so to speak by the company who made it. Meaning they are OFFICIALLY saying you can run their card overclocked and will NOT void your warranty. Also they are officially saying you will get specific advertised speeds guaranteed. If you buy a NON OC card (meaning reference speeds, NOT overclocked or superclocked which are just marketing terms for the same thing) you are on your own with getting it to OC and NOT under warranty in many cases. If you get a crappy chip on a NON OC card you won't get squat for free. It's a luck of the draw in these cases. In a superclocked/overclocked model you are not getting a luck of the draw, they are guaranteeing that draw is already great and TESTED to be great.

The process of BINNING is done to get the best chips. These are saved for officially sanctioned OC models and OC to the high speeds while still running cool enough that they are not afraid to give you that OC & a warranty with it.

I hope that makes sense now. Specifically I'd buy one of these two:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127770&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=780_ti-_-14-127-770-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125489&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=780_ti-_-14-125-489-_-Product

The first is MSI for $599, with 3yr parts/2yrs labor. Free watch dogs game. The second is Gigabyte 3yrs warranty parts & labor and free watch dogs but $30 more. I prefer Gigabyte but really only in motherboards vs msi. I don't think there is much difference in their video cards quality wise. But I'll take the 3/3yr for $30 and a brand I know has lower RMA on motherboards overall. They both have the same overclocks on them out of the box. In that respect you should get ~the same performance.

From MSI's page if I wasn't clear enough:
"Most MSI Gaming graphics cards come pre-overclocked out of the factory. This simply means you get more performance out of your card, without spending any time on checking for maximum clocks and stability. Pre-overclocked graphics cards simply give more performance and you don't have to worry about damaging your card, it is completely covered by our warranty!"

Covered by warranty and no luck of the draw or risking damage. They did the work for you. This is the same with Gigabyte (or any superclock/OC cards).

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_780_ti_gaming_review,10.html
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_780_ti_windforce_3x_review,10.html
both cards hit same noise levels and gigabyte slightly higher clocks, but no point in going past what they give you out of the box until you're ready to replace it years from now. Gigabyte got the top pick and 5 stars, but MSI is a recommended pick from them also (just not top pick). 450w cooling power on the gigabyte and they say you can't hear it. 400w on MSI but almost silent. I guess the 3fan/450 can run the fans slower probably when loaded so it makes a bit less noise vs. 2fan MSI model. Just a guess there though but an extra fan and 50w extra cooling power makes sense they say silent vs. MSI and give Gigabyte the top pick.

It's up to you if $30 is worth it or not. Not bad choices either way. For that $30 you get a slightly better warranty (3yr/3yr parts and labor vs 3/2 on MSI), supposedly better cooling power and in their testing silent vs ALMOST silent MSI.

The numbers should make sense to you even if you don't get the tech behind them :) More fans, more cooling power, more warranty, and SILENT costs you $30 extra. Pretty simple really, just a matter of your wallet and if it's worth it to you. I hope this clears everything up :)

Enjoy either way ;)

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
At stock overclock speeds I don't think you'll really hear the difference. I think that only comes into play at HIGHER than out of the box OC speeds vs. MSI. At stock they both made the same noise I think if I get what they are saying in the reviews. The 3fan 450w cooling gigabyte makes a difference when going higher and still being silent but that's just the impression I get from the charts being the same but gigabyte going further in speeds and them still saying silent vs msi being ALMOST silent.

Just trying to clear their pick of gigabyte up for you a bit more ;)

GetOwnedGaming

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

I just cant afford the 780 ti! So if I were to get a 780 I should get a Gigabyte SuperOC?

Well, gigabyte doesn't make superclocked 780's so I have to get an EVGA.

So here is the build!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hrF4Bm

Thanks for the help!

P.s. Could you maybe take a guess at how many FPS I will get on minecraft with Fraps running?

I modified your build slightly:
Added Devils Canyon CPU
Added Z97 mobo
Cut RAM to 8 GB and improved CAS to 8.0
Cut PSU to 550 W.

I believe the rest should be the same as you chose.

Yogi

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($157.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($479.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12G 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: SteelSeries Apex [RAW] Wired Gaming Keyboard ($56.56 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1429.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-13 15:05 EDT-0400

GetOwnedGaming

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

I'm going to keep it how I have it. I will be rendering videos so I will use the 16gb RAM. I may want to go SLI 780's in the future so I'm keeping the 850watter. I am getting a z97 Motherboard tho!

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125471&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=780_gtx-_-14-125-471-_-Product
Superclocked OC'ed whatever you'd call it. Same as 780ti model fan/heatsink wise. Gigabyte 3fan $459 after rebate. Sorry didn't realize 780ti was out due to cost. EVGA is clocked just a tad faster (14mhz or so). All good cards.

Minecraft fps...Way more than you need to enjoy it or record it to stream. Complete unequivocal overkill ;) Minecraft isn't taxing. 100fps+ without fraps recording, 30-60 with if unlock the cap on fraps. Those are just guesses and I'd think low on the 100fps+ so merely a rough idea here.

You're welcome. Hope that clears it all up.