[SOLVED] What is the difference between an OEM and a DSP licence?

dimitris79gr

Honorable
May 8, 2016
I wanted to get a windows licence and i saw 2 licence types for Windows 10 Home DSP and OEM? what is the difference between the 2? Why did the OEM one cost 30 euros whereas the DSP one costed 104? Which one should i get?

Solution
OEM license cannot be moved to another device whether preinstalled or purchased later. The license which can be linked to Microsoft account is a digital license.
Depends on the OEM license. My store bought OEM windows 10(bought on Newegg) is now on it's 3rd motherboard, and is linked to my microsoft account. The only difference between it and a full retail license is the lack of Microsoft tech support.

DSP/pre-installed OEM versions are the ones that are tied to the motherboard and even then in case such as motherboard failure Microsoft will allow them to be moved, it just requires a call to Microsoft.

Abhinav2005

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
DSP means “Delivery Service Partner.” It is a version of OEM software used by smaller computer manufacturers and system builders.

What is the difference between OEM and DSP software?

The software in both OEM versions and DSP versions is the same. OEM software normally has the hardware manufacturer’s name, such as Dell or Sony, printed on the manual and license. DSP software, however, has NO manufacturer’s name stamped on the manual or printed on the license. DSP versions usually just say “OEM.” Basically, DSP is a more generic packaging of an OEM product that is sold to smaller system builders who do not qualify for larger volume discounts and custom printing on their software.

Please note that OEM and DSP non-operating system software (such as Microsoft Office, Works Suite, WordPerfect, etc.) cannot be installed over a previous version as an Upgrade.

It's your choice what you want!

Reactions: dimitris79gr

dimitris79gr

Honorable
May 8, 2016
DSP means “Delivery Service Partner.” It is a version of OEM software used by smaller computer manufacturers and system builders.

What is the difference between OEM and DSP software?

The software in both OEM versions and DSP versions is the same. OEM software normally has the hardware manufacturer’s name, such as Dell or Sony, printed on the manual and license. DSP software, however, has NO manufacturer’s name stamped on the manual or printed on the license. DSP versions usually just say “OEM.” Basically, DSP is a more generic packaging of an OEM product that is sold to smaller system builders who do not qualify for larger volume discounts and custom printing on their software.

Please note that OEM and DSP non-operating system software (such as Microsoft Office, Works Suite, WordPerfect, etc.) cannot be installed over a previous version as an Upgrade.

It's your choice what you want!
So what type of windows licence should i get? and from where? (i live in Greece)

Abhinav2005

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
So what type of windows licence should i get? and from where? (i live in Greece)
I suggest you to go with DSP. As I told above "It is a version of OEM software used by smaller computer manufacturers and system builders".
But if you have any plan to change your system(motherboard)in near future then neither go with OEM not DSP, you should go with retail.
I can't suggest from where you should get.
Try to do some research on that yourself.

bignastyid

Titan
DSP licenses are meant to be sold with a computer or at least the core parts it will be installed on. They are not meant to be sold by themselves. When the seller eventually gets caught by Microsoft violating the terms of their contract the keys will be deactivated. So I would avoid that cheap key.

Reactions: dimitris79gr

dimitris79gr

Honorable
May 8, 2016
DSP licenses are meant to be sold with a computer or at least the core parts it will be installed on. They are not meant to be sold by themselves. When the seller eventually gets caught by Microsoft violating the terms of their contract the keys will be deactivated. So I would avoid that cheap key.
Can OEM licences be moved to a different MB if i link my licence with a microsoft account?

bignastyid

Titan
OEM license cannot be moved to another device whether preinstalled or purchased later. The license which can be linked to Microsoft account is a digital license.
Depends on the OEM license. My store bought OEM windows 10(bought on Newegg) is now on it's 3rd motherboard, and is linked to my microsoft account. The only difference between it and a full retail license is the lack of Microsoft tech support.

DSP/pre-installed OEM versions are the ones that are tied to the motherboard and even then in case such as motherboard failure Microsoft will allow them to be moved, it just requires a call to Microsoft.

Solution