[SOLVED] What is the difference between "Maximum CPU cooler length" and "Radiator Layout"

barkersofgeraldine

Reputable
Nov 11, 2020
I am new to PC building, and hope to get some wisdom for a ‘build’ I am making.

The PC case I have purchased has separate specifications for "Maximum CPU cooler length" and “Radiator Layout".

I am in the process of picking a CPU cooler, and can’t proceed without knowing which specifications I need to consider when choosing a CPU cooler.

Will the CPU cooler I hope to purchase fit into the case?

The CPU cooler I hope to purchase has the following specifications: 138(L)98(W)133(H)mm

The PC case I have purchased is: MSI MAG VAMPIRIC 100L Mid Tower Case

The specifications for the PC case are:

SPECIFICATIONS:

Product Name: MAG VAMPIRIC 100L
I/O Ports: USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A x 1 USB 2.0 x2 Audio x1 Mic x1
Driver Bays: 2.5” x 2 + 3.5” x 2 (1 x compatible with 2.5”)
Case Expansion Slots: 7
Maximum GPU Length: 300mm / 11.81 inch
Maximum CPU Cooler Length: 160mm / 6.3 inch
Lighting: ARGB
Power Supply: Standard ATX, max up to 270mm (without 3.5'' HDD tray installed)
Cooling Layout:
• Front: 120mm x 3 or 140mm x 2​
• Top: 120mm x 2​
• Rear: 120mm x 1​
RADIATOR LAYOUT:
• Front: 120 / 240mm
• Rear: 120 mm
Form Factor: Mid-Tower
Support MB Form Factor: ATX / Micro-ATX / Mini-ITX
Dimension: 390 (D) x 205 (W) x 457 (H) mm / 15.35 (D) x 8.07 (W) x 17.99 (H) inches
Weight: 4.7Kg / 10.36lbs

Solution
Yes, it seems that it will fit. Height for the CPU cooler is from the bottom (where the plate connects to the CPU) to the top (where the ends of the heat pipes poke out). This is assuming it's an air cooler and not a water cooler.

With the case description, it's stated as "length" because the cooler will technically be sideways when installed. The "length" for a case's cooler clearance is the distance between the top of the CPU and the side panel of the case.

So your CPU cooler's 133mm "height" will fit just fine in the case's 160mm Cooler clearance maximum.

But just in case, post a link to the cooler you're getting.

For the radiators, this is only for water coolers. The radiator mounts where you would normally put the fans, on...
Yes, it seems that it will fit. Height for the CPU cooler is from the bottom (where the plate connects to the CPU) to the top (where the ends of the heat pipes poke out). This is assuming it's an air cooler and not a water cooler.

With the case description, it's stated as "length" because the cooler will technically be sideways when installed. The "length" for a case's cooler clearance is the distance between the top of the CPU and the side panel of the case.

So your CPU cooler's 133mm "height" will fit just fine in the case's 160mm Cooler clearance maximum.

But just in case, post a link to the cooler you're getting.

For the radiators, this is only for water coolers. The radiator mounts where you would normally put the fans, on either the bottom, front, top, or back of the case.

Reactions: barkersofgeraldine
Solution