What is the difference between Tom's Hardware and Tom's Guide?

Maineman

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
I have been posting on Tom's Hardware for 10 years and didn't know about Tom's Guide until now. Is posting the same question on both websites redundant? I am guessing but is Tom's Hardware more for info and Tom's Guide more like a how to guide?

You know. Until now I didn't know the mobile phones section was there. I just assumed it didn't exist. I'm just curious why Tom's doesn't merge the forums? A perfect time would've been during the cluster duck when the forums software was changed a while back and we lost all our awards.

It's very confusing and totally unintuitive. I'm a long time veteran of these forums and I still forget about Tom's Guide. I'd hate to think of what it's like for newbs trying to get questions answered about something like smartphones.

Also not sure why phones and tablets aren't considered computer stuff. It's not like we're talking about Startacs. They are most definitely computers. Perhaps a simplified OS and user interface. But still a computer. Often with mouse, keyboard and external display support. With newer iPad OS versions and technologies like DEX blurring the lines even more.

There's also a lot of redundancy between the forums adding to confusion.

I'd think it would ultimately easier to run one forum than two.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
You know. Until now I didn't know the mobile phones section was there. I just assumed it didn't exist. I'm just curious why Tom's doesn't merge the forums? A perfect time would've been during the cluster duck when the forums software was changed a while back and we lost all our awards.

It's very confusing and totally unintuitive. I'm a long time veteran of these forums and I still forget about Tom's Guide. I'd hate to think of what it's like for newbs trying to get questions answered about something like smartphones.

Also not sure why phones and tablets aren't considered computer stuff. It's not like we're talking about Startacs. They are most definitely computers. Perhaps a simplified OS and user interface. But still a computer. Often with mouse, keyboard and external display support. With newer iPad OS versions and technologies like DEX blurring the lines even more.

There's also a lot of redundancy between the forums adding to confusion.

I'd think it would ultimately easier to run one forum than two.

Interestingly enough they used to be linked, with some forums being redundant to the other (basically you could post something here on TH and it would also show up on TG). With the forum software upgrade that went away and they became independent.

I agree that it should all be one place. Also TG gets much less traffic than TH, and to your point, theres a lot of confusion.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Even as a mod it doesn't make sense to me to have an Android & Chrome Part on here and why its on here and not on TG. Laptops being on both is just a left over from when they were linked, I have replaced most of the stickies in the shared areas here as they were all linking to TG

We get lots of people posting questions about mobiles here and we have to explain the hardware side of things is on TG