What is the point of amd 8000 and 9000 series?

UnrezolvedKaos

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2015
What is the point of amd 8000 and 9000 series? After the 100-200 price point Intel becomes better. Is there something amd brings to the table at that price that Intel doesnt? My best guess is budget workstations?

Solution
an fx 8350 can run on a stock fan and doesn't require any crazy cooling and is great for non gaming task if they use all cores

Otherwise intel pretty much always wins

Justin Millard

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
FX 8350 provides great multi-threaded performance for some tasks like video editing and still excellent gaming performance, while being cheaper than an i5. The hope for FX 8000 owners is when more games become multi-threaded (maybe DX 12 will help) that their CPUs will be able to get the same gaming performance as a more expensive middle of the stack i5 like an i5 4590 or i5 6500.

Budget workstations is a good guess. They handle multi-tasking quite well considering the eight threads.

Keep on dreaming. It's a no-go. those processors require high-end, expensive motherboards, expensive cooling solutions and they eat a ton of electricity. That meant the rig using Intel is cheaper than the rig using AMD and then the Inte processors also outperform the AMD solutions at that price point.

It's merely AMD treading water, hoping against hope that Zen will *maybe* make them competitive. In the mean time they rely on console sales and deluded advocates that tell people that *maybe* DX12 based games will multi-thread so much better that the AMD solution will miraculously outperform the Intel solution.

Justin Millard

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014

Hey I never actually claimed they were as good as an i5 4590 or i5 3570k OC'd.
Just slightly cheaper.

And as far as DX 12, well its a hope for the owners. It won't make a difference for most games.
Single threaded intel will keep winning easily until Zen comes along and offers something competitive for the first time in a long time.

Just doing a bit of pro-AMD spin that you saw right through ;)

Still, cheap video editing rig, 1080P gaming rig FX 8350 goes alright if you can't afford a mid range i5.