Question What is the point of buying a more powerful CPU if I need to overclock?

Buchinski13

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015
Hey everyone, amateur here, so forgive me if title question is dumb.

So, I decided to upgrade from my current CPU. I'm in the market for a CPU that can, alongside my GPU, give me the best performance possible when it comes to gaming, at 1080p and 60FPS. Preferably with a decent stock cooler. I´ve posted in other forums, the main recommendation being a Ryzen 2600 5 with overclock. But I thought the whole point of buying a more powerful processor was to hold off on overclocking until it starts showing it's age? Like I said, I'm no expert when it comes to computer hardware.

Just in case, these are my current system specs:
-GPU: ASUS GTX1070
-CPU: Intel Quad Core i7 2600k 3.4GHz
-RAM: 16GB
-Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, 60Hz
-Motherboard: Intel DZ68D8
-Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart Series 80 Plus, Smart 700W

So, I decided to upgrade from my current CPU. I'm in the market for a CPU that can, alongside my GPU, give me the best performance possible when it comes to gaming, at 1080p and 60FPS. Preferably with a decent stock cooler. I´ve posted in other forums, the main recommendation being a Ryzen 2600 5 with overclock. But I thought the whole point of buying a more powerful processor was to hold off on overclocking until it starts showing it's age? Like I said, I'm no expert when it comes to computer hardware.

Well the AMD CPU's are weak in gaming overall compared to the Intel CPU's, that's the reason for the recommended OCing. It really shows up at 1080 too, so you would start out behind from the beginning and OCing won't help because you already did it. BAD ADVICE all the way around.

There is nothing wrong with your current machine now other than that junk PSU.

However if you do want to upgrade, it would be MB, CPU, PSU and RAM and to Windows 10.

If you plan on OCing in the future that means a K series CPU for Intel and you will need a Cooler since those don't come with one.

Here is a pretty good idea of what you will need.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($264.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus - TUF Z390-PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($158.13 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($68.90 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.39 @ OutletPC)
Total: $770.29
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-02 23:29 EST-0500

The i7-2600K today only matches the R3-1200 or 1300, so, it's most definitely only giving about half of your potential framerates at 1080P or 1440P....

If you review this '7700k revisited' video (below) on YT by Gamer's Nexus, they review a large variety of CPUs with the best GPUs, and show scaling at 1080P and 1440P...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rOVfeujof4&t=94s

Rather than attempting to steer you to or from AMD or Intel, review and choose yourself accordingly....

(Right now, I swing Intel 9700K for it's highest frame rate potential at non-exorbitant cost....; that may change this summer with Ryzen 3000 series desktops, whcih are rumored to match the 9900K's performance in Cinebench, no small feat! Additionally, there are a few rumors of Intel's 10 nm coming early, but, I doubt we see much more than a paper launch/preview to attempt to steal any AMD-thunder gained... I don't take CPU performance personally, and buy whatever I feel is a good choice, which has ratcheted back and forth from AMD CPUs to Intel, to AMD again, back to Intel, etc., over the last 24 years...)

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

There is no need to overclock the 2600. You can overclock the 2600 obviously. That being said it is a powerful cpu and stock it is a monster. The 2600X is slighly faster. The guy who said that AMD is weaker in games is out of his mind. Yes Intel cpu's have a slight edge in gaming but with a hefty premium in price. Also in most cases your gpu will be the limiting factor.

Last edited:

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I personally run a Ryzen 5 2600 OC'd to 3.95 GHz on an Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming mb with G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200 RAM running at 3400 MHz.
I have an MSI GTX 1660 TI Armor 6G OC and I run current games at 1080p set to Ultra and get between 85 and 120 fps on a 60 Hz monitor.
When gaming my CPU shows as being at between 30 and 50 % usage and my GPU is up to anywhere from 80 to 98 %.
So obviously my CPU easily handles current games at 1080p.
I bought the 2600 planning to OC because it gives me essentially the same performance as a stock 2600x at a much lower price and it was over $100 less then the i7-9600k listed a few posts up.

Last edited:

Wolfshadw

Titan
In answer to your question, in years past, most people didn't know how to build computers, let alone overclock the CPU. You also didn't have too many applications that pushed processors to their limits. Now-a-days, the processors practically overclock themselves.

There is a competitiveness in gaming these days and many people just absolutely have to squeeze out every last milli-hertz of production from their systems. So they get the best they can afford and overclock from the get-go.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: nctnl