What is the point of getting 144hz monitor if u cant get 144fps?

Sep 29, 2018
i was thinking of gettiing 1440p 144hz monitor

but i found out that even GTX1080TI cant run games at that resolution with 144fps

so why do ppl get 144hz if they cant run games at that rate?

Another question if i run game on 1080p on a monitor which support 1440p
will it be the same qualtiy as am i running it on 1080p monitor ?

Solution
Higher refresh rate can make movement and responsiveness feel more fluid even if you're not hitting that framerate; though of course it wont' be as noticeable.

1080p on 1440p monitor is stretched, not the same as a native resolution monitor with 1080p.

If you have a 1070 Ti or better, I would encourage you to get a 1440p monitor with a high refresh rate. I recently made the move and it is quite satisfying. I spent the extra on G-Sync.

What setup would you use with the monitor?
Higher refresh rate can make movement and responsiveness feel more fluid even if you're not hitting that framerate; though of course it wont' be as noticeable.

1080p on 1440p monitor is stretched, not the same as a native resolution monitor with 1080p.

If you have a 1070 Ti or better, I would encourage you to get a 1440p monitor with a high refresh rate. I recently made the move and it is quite satisfying. I spent the extra on G-Sync.

What setup would you use with the monitor?

Solution

Serinox

Reputable
Jun 23, 2017
Your points are valid, but still it's definitely worth getting 1440p @144hz. Even if you are not hitting the framerate, gameplay will feel much smoother.

That is aslong you like to play shooters. If you are a fan if slow paced games like rpg, rts there is no point of getting a high refresh monitor.

Also i advice you to use native resolution. At least if you don't like unsharp images.

beoza

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I went from a cheap Acer 27" 1080p 60Hz monitor to a Dell 1440p 144Hz gsync monitor both running on a GTX 970. I could get 80+ FPS on the old Acer dipping down to mid 60's but with noticeable screen tearing and the game just didn't feel as responsive. The new Dell monitor I get between 80-100fps and there is no screen tearing (thank you gsync) and it just feels more responsive, not to mention there is more detail going from 1080p - 1440p. So you get more details in the image with the higher resolution obviously, and with a higher Hz you get better responsiveness when moving around the game world. I don't play shooters I play games like WoW and other MMORPG's, the higher Hz helps in all games to feel smoother whether you are using GSync, FreeSync or a high Hz monitor vs a standard 60Hz monitor, it helps with the timing of the image between the GPU and the monitor. Your GPU can draw the image many times faster than the monitor can refresh in Hz so having a higher Hz on the monitor can make your games feel smoother and not necessarily give you more FPS.