[SOLVED] What is the process for reinstalling a RAID 1 drive?

Mar 2, 2020
I upgraded to Windows 10, but pulled one of the hard drives to maintain the data just in case. What do I need to do to properly reinstall the second drive to maintain the integrity of Windows 10?

Solution
It is Hardware RAID 1. It does show the array degraded. And, yes, the system was Win 7 upgraded to Win 10. We wanted to protect the data, so I pulled the second drive before upgrading. The computer is a Dell Precision T3600. I'm not sure about the MB, but the drives are 500GB, SATA. I am pretty sure they are Seagate drives.
Then a degraded array should, in theory, rebuild itself after putting in a new drive.
Of course, wiping out all that is on that drive.

I wouldn't do this without a known good backup of the whole drive.
But then again, I don't turn my PC on without a known good backup of all relevant drives.
Mar 2, 2020
I should clarify that the second drive has Windows 7 on it still. My question is, will it rebuild from the Windows 10 drive, or does it need to be formatted to keep from corrupting both drives?

USAFRet

Titan
So this system was Win 7, RAID 1. 2 drives.
You removed 1 drive, and upgraded the OS on the remaining member to Win 10.

What RAID 1 is this? Hardware, software, motherboard, StorageSpaces....?
Does the remaining member report the array as degraded?

What drives, what motherboard?

Mar 2, 2020
It is Hardware RAID 1. It does show the array degraded. And, yes, the system was Win 7 upgraded to Win 10. We wanted to protect the data, so I pulled the second drive before upgrading. The computer is a Dell Precision T3600. I'm not sure about the MB, but the drives are 500GB, SATA. I am pretty sure they are Seagate drives.

USAFRet

Titan
Then a degraded array should, in theory, rebuild itself after putting in a new drive.
Of course, wiping out all that is on that drive.

I wouldn't do this without a known good backup of the whole drive.
But then again, I don't turn my PC on without a known good backup of all relevant drives.

Solution
Mar 2, 2020
I do have a good backup of the data. I was just hoping for convenience that I could just put the second drive back in without causing more work.