What is the size of windows 7 operating system

Nangia

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Hello, My C drive is filling very fast. It has 75 G patrician and originally OS occupied 27 G when I bought brand new May 2011. It is I3, 6G ram and 500 G hard rive, I have Mcafee and System mechanics software yet it keeps on filling the C. I like to know how to reduce this.

Scott_D_Bowen

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
What is the size of windows 7 operating system
- About 10.2 GB although the actual folder will appear larger as some of the files within it exist logically, physically they are stored in a more efficient format.

I have Mcafee and System mechanics software yet it keeps on filling the C. I like to know how to reduce this.
- Scanning for viruses will not free up drive space.

Solution
- You most likely need to uninstall software you are not using.
- Try running the Disk Clean up Wizard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2dSKFGFaA4
- Note that I do not recommend deleting the Temporary Internet Files, you can set the size of the cache in Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc. to 256MB for each user and this should cause it to shrink automatically after restarting the browser.
- Try uninstalling some games (from Steam, etc.) if you have lots of games installed.
- Try deleting any large video files stored on the HDD.
- Consider reducing the size of your pagefile to 256MB initially, with the option to grow to up to 4GB (4096MB)
- Run Check Disk on your C: drive, then restart and let the countdown timer complete. There might be unused regions on your HDD that are incorrectly being marked as used in the drive bitmap (it happens more often than people think on NTFS).

Someone, or something, may have increased your pagefile size to several gigabytes
- The vast majority of systems do not require a pagefile maximum size over 3072MB!
- Since you have 8GB (8192MB) of RAM then the following will work well for your system

Press [WinKey]+[Pause/Break] then click on Advanced system settings to access the Systems Properties window
- If [WinKey]+[Pause/Break] does not work then go via the Start Menu \ Control Panel \ System and Security \ System
Setting_your_pagefile_Win7.png

Comments
- 500GB is huge, the trick is managing the storage that you have effectively.
- You may want to download JDiskReport (it's under 16MB) then use it to find out where the bulk of your data is being stored.