[SOLVED] What is the temperature in which a Ryzen 5 2600 starts to throttle?

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
So I cleaned my PC the other day, dismantling every part and cleaned them individually, but then I found out that the PC's performance is a bit more.... sluggish? Checking out the temperature the CPU idles around low 40 C. When I run a demanding game it maxes out at 80-82 C and stays there (and yes, games felt a good bit more stuttery, or maybe it's just placebo effect?). Running Cinebench for 10 minutes and the temp would break the 90 C barrier (maxes out at 91-92 C). Prime95 is an absolute disaster, it would shot up all the way to 110 C and shuts down.

I knew something is wrong in the way I put the PC back together. I'll try to check it later this evening when I get back from work, but this brings up the question : at what point does a Ryzen 5 2600 starts to throttle? Is 80 C too hot for the CPU?

To be honest, I never put the CPU's temperature much of a thought until now...

Solution
So I cleaned my PC the other day, dismantling every part and cleaned them individually, but then I found out that the PC's performance is a bit more.... sluggish? Checking out the temperature the CPU idles around low 40 C. When I run a demanding game it maxes out at 80-82 C and stays there (and yes, games felt a good bit more stuttery, or maybe it's just placebo effect?). Running Cinebench for 10 minutes and the temp would break the 90 C barrier (maxes out at 91-92 C). Prime95 is an absolute disaster, it would shot up all the way to 110 C and shuts down.

I knew something is wrong in the way I put the PC back together. I'll try to check it later this evening when I get back from work, but this brings up the question : at what point...

I knew something is wrong in the way I put the PC back together. I'll try to check it later this evening when I get back from work, but this brings up the question : at what point does a Ryzen 5 2600 starts to throttle? Is 80 C too hot for the CPU?

To be honest, I never put the CPU's temperature much of a thought until now...
At over 70c it starts to lower boost frequency and with it performance. -At 80c it's already down to base frequency and dropping even further with higher temps.
You need better cooling, something to keep it under 70c.

Solution

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Just got back from work, I'll disassemble the PC shortly. I'll let you know what I find.

you might meed to repaste your CPU cooler
at 80C it will start to throttle

Maybe I applied the paste wrong when I put it together a few days ago? It wasn't my first time repasting, but I'll check it.

At over 70c it starts to lower boost frequency and with it performance. -At 80c it's already down to base frequency and dropping even further with higher temps.
You need better cooling, something to keep it under 70c.

70C? It's lower than I thought.
About the cooler, the cooler is actually kind of overkill, it's a Cryorig H7 QL, a 160W TDP heatsink cooling a 65W TDP CPU (at stock settings, I never touched the overclocking settings). If I were a betting man I think I mounted it imperfectly or something. I'll let you know...

Just got back from work, I'll disassemble the PC shortly. I'll let you know what I find.

Maybe I applied the paste wrong when I put it together a few days ago? It wasn't my first time repasting, but I'll check it.

70C? It's lower than I thought.
About the cooler, the cooler is actually kind of overkill, it's a Cryorig H7 QL, a 160W TDP heatsink cooling a 65W TDP CPU (at stock settings, I never touched the overclocking settings). If I were a betting man I think I mounted it imperfectly or something. I'll let you know...
That cooler should be quite enough

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
That cooler should be quite enough

you might meed to repaste your CPU cooler
at 80C it will start to throttle

Alright, at the risk of making me looking like a dummy, I managed to find the problem :

In my infinite wisdom and utter absent-mindedness, I forgot to apply thermal paste when I installed the cooler several days ago. When I checked it, it was dry with nary a drop of paste on the IHS or the heatsink copper plate. I applied a thermal paste (the one that came with the cooler), reassembled everything, and the problem went away.

Idle temperature is now at 33-35 C instead of 40 C. After running Cinebench for 30 minutes straight the max temperature now stays around 54 C. Also, I forgot to mention it in my first post, but the CPU frequemcy used to hover around 3300-3400 MHz during a Cinebench run, now it goes all the way to 3700 MHz, sometimes reaching 3800 momentarily.

Never thought thermal paste (or the lack of) could make such a big difference in temperature. I hope myself running the PC without thermal paste for like a week won't cause any lasting damage to the CPU. Thank you for the answers!

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Alright, at the risk of making me looking like a dummy, I managed to find the problem :

In my infinite wisdom and utter absent-mindedness, I forgot to apply thermal paste when I installed the cooler several days ago. When I checked it, it was dry with nary a drop of paste on the IHS or the heatsink copper plate. I applied a thermal paste (the one that came with the cooler), reassembled everything, and the problem went away.

Idle temperature is now at 33-35 C instead of 40 C. After running Cinebench for 30 minutes straight the max temperature now stays around 54 C. Also, I forgot to mention it in my first post, but the CPU frequemcy used to hover around 3300-3400 MHz during a Cinebench run, now it goes all the way to 3700 MHz, sometimes reaching 3800 momentarily.

Never thought thermal paste (or the lack of) could make such a big difference in temperature. I hope myself running the PC without thermal paste for like a week won't cause any lasting damage to the CPU. Thank you for the answers!
It happens.💩

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edmqTODMZC4