What is this? AMD chip with Lvl 3 cach?

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
99.9% YES: It's a 1200 series opteron and they don't have L3. Also, the 1200 series should be all 90nm up to now. If it were a Barcelona core; they're not even planned to clock to 2.8GHz for the moment.
It could be an experimental hybrid though but I work a lot with Photoshop and it's a lot more easy to overlay that 2048K L3 :wink:

flasher702

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
how/where did you find that pic?

It looks like it's supposed to be a Barcelona ES chip or something but would kinda need more info on where it came from...

It's odd that the voltage is censored.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
99.9% YES: It's a 1200 series opteron and they don't have L3. Also, the 1200 series should be all 90nm up to now. If it were a Barcelona core; they're not even planned to clock to 2.8GHz for the moment.
It could be an experimental hybrid though but I work a lot with Photoshop and it's a lot more easy to overlay that 2048K L3 :wink:

That photo has made the rounds before. The key is lookng at the code name. The only AMD codename that small is Kuma. It wil have L3 and is a dual core.

It is definitley not Opteron but it could be a Barcelona chip. I am of the opinion that AMD has Kuma ready as it will most likely be the mobile chip also.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
if that is a kuma then i cant believe how high its clocked. that things gonna force a short battery life on any mobile systems

You have to remember that Kuma has split power planes for both cores and the IMC. Also, mobile won't be clocked that high initially. I'd say the mobile versions may go to 2.4GHz.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
This has been posted and discussed before. It's possible that it is an early ES of the dual-core version of Barcelona.

Barcelona is quad server.Stars is desktop dual and quad,I wasnt aware of a x2 barcelona server chip and the core name is too short to validate what you have said.

I agree with baron on kuma,pretty much on everything he said about it bieng ready as well.

Rather than this regurgitated screen id rather see benches with all identifying features edited out.

Grawr, I never said the core name was Barcelona.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006

That photo has made the rounds before. The key is lookng at the code name. The only AMD codename that small is Kuma. It wil have L3 and is a dual core.

It is definitley not Opteron but it could be a Barcelona chip. I am of the opinion that AMD has Kuma ready as it will most likely be the mobile chip also.

Just like a "AMD Athlon(tm)/Opteron(tm) CPU-model unknown" is a Barcelona Chip ....

Yeah, this is the real McKoy guys.... Barcelona is HERE!!! Hip Hip Horrayyy..... 3 Cheers for Barcelona.....

We should see the stock bounce back to the 20's tomorrow wouldn't you suppose Baron??

At least the timing is right....

JacK! for the love of god.. maneers!!!

dont say jokes while im eating.. you made me spit on my monitor.. you meanie! :/

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
If you want to play devil's advocate, Intel showed Tigertown running at speed over a month ago. This is a patently unfair comparison because Tigertown is a Conroe x 2 with a new chipset, a very different proposition from a new CPU. Still, that chip is what AMD will be up against in the market so it may not be technically correct, but you don't buy tech, you buy products. Intel let a bunch of hyperactive monkeys that masquerade as press beat a system at will vs running task manager with a stick wielding goon ready to break fingers should you touch. Again, patently unfair but still, that's the way the Chipzilla cookie crumbles.

Must be a K10 since AMD demoed them already :wink:

knightrous

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
if that is a kuma then i cant believe how high its clocked. that things gonna force a short battery life on any mobile systems

I would just say it's clocked that high for testing purposes. Then clocked down for future production. Also, for energy saving, maybe they are letting the processor throttle the HTT speeds back when they are idling ?

I dunno, but this looks half real to me, doesn't look like the normal faked shots you see...

jackxlj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
6 of one,half a dozen of the other. No one is sure what the mobile versions of barceolna will be, and if they are realy low power with an amd chipset,then we may well see up to 3ghz chips, otoh one would think that amd wouldnt have the cpu id the same as an opty 1200 series proc...but who knows...:shrugs: we shall see

knightrous

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Well the photo is taken on the angle of a CRT monitor... I think it would involve some serious skills to fake that without leaving obvious tell tales of manipulation...

I'm no image expert, but this image doesn't strike any normal "FAKE FAKE FAKE" alerts in my head.

But hey, this isn't fake either..

AMD-K9.PNG

So who knows :)

flasher702

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Having a weird name show up in the name field in CPUz is normal for an ES. It's an ES, they didn't bother to program a new name for it because it doesn't have one. Right?

Having an L3 cache that CPUz doesn't even know to look for show up isn't... gOJDO do you want to expand on that? Are you sure?

Lower image quality is hardly an indication that the image wasn't faked. Come on, all they had to do was create the fake image then display it on a screen THEN take a picture of it effectively masking any editing errors in the faking of the image. Enough with the "I photoshoped red-eye out of my cousin's wedding photos once and I think that picture [does/doesn't] look fake." It's really pointless. If you see an image error point it out, none of us give a crap about unsubstantiated opinions from random anonymous forum posters who claim to be imaging experts.

Ok, so it looks like it's supposed to be a Kuma ES... but it also looks fake.

WHERE DID IT COME FROM? Who supposedly took this picture? Who posted it? Where? When?

"IMG:DIGITAL IXUS 40 JPEG Firmware Version 1.00 Martin Storz " That's the camera that supposedly took it, so you can stop worrying about how someone would make a photoshop effect that made it look like they used a camera, cuz that would be retarded. Either way they just used a camera to take the picture.

"Canon Canon DIGITAL IXUS 40 ´ ´ 2007:01:31 23:20:42"
And that's when they supposedly took it.

Did AMD have working Kuma ES chips last month? I don't think so.

Now if you excuse me, I need to get back to beating this dead horse here...

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
yes its supposed to have 3 HT links for 25GB max bandwidth and also the L2 cache is supposed to be 512k for each proc

All wrong.

For Socket AM2, only 1HT will be activated on the processor level.
Each HT 3.0 link can provide up to 20.8GB/s (2.6GHz x 32-bit).