Question MS Servers- How they detect Hardware

Tim042

Reputable
Sep 10, 2020
1 Hows does MS servers "read" your hardware? Directly from the hardware or BIOS? to compare their hardware key they have for your computer

2 If i change the M/B over with identical M/B with same REV number eg 1.0, will it detect that. IOW, Do the servers **read only the "model" of M/B OR does each M/B have a unique serial number**** and the servers will SEE THAT and NOT allow and i have to ring up MS?

3 Do the servers EVER read the Boot H/D data for Key authentication OR ONLY the hardware directly?

USAFRet

Titan
2. Even if an exact replacement, it is a different motherboard. Different serial number.

What OS are you working with, and where did it come from?

Different OSs have different licensing rules. Win 10 and 11, it is much easier to migrate to different hardware. Usually, it works.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Activation can be a slippery slope, as I assume this is what your concern is actually about. Each of your bit of hardware has an individual ID so when you are activated by hardware ID, changing it can cause the "support" call. In other cases you can tie the key to your MS account but is typically for retail rather than OEM key. Regardless, in my experience almost any option that runs you into the first deactivation on a legitimate key can be cleared with the changed my hardware prompt works once.

Tim042

Reputable
Sep 10, 2020
Thanks for all answers, i was betting on the serial number being the case. MS can obviously read each hardware and its individual SN directly somehow.
Extra bonus question!!
If i have identical computers with same M/B (diff serials) BUT each Desktop box has their Own KEY (which i already activated Win 10 from 7 key earlier) , if one Desktop packs up, can i hot swap the C drive over to one of the others and even though it wasnt "migrated and Programs all moved over ect" Will MS servers care about what c drive i am trying to make work with it OR just see the key for that M/B and box with its own hardware and Key and OK it similar to what you have already answered.... Basically the H/D will be problematic but the servers will confirm the key and hardware and be happy and not pay any attention to what drives i have in it except for their "count" of small hardware change but not enough to stop activation?
*** I am asking in case my current computer fails and i have a couple identical ones with their own keys and same M/B (diff serial of course)

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for all answers, i was betting on the serial number being the case. MS can obviously read each hardware and its individual SN directly somehow.
Extra bonus question!!
If i have identical computers with same M/B (diff serials) BUT each Desktop box has their Own KEY (which i already activated Win 10 from 7 key earlier) , if one Desktop packs up, can i hot swap the C drive over to one of the others and even though it wasnt "migrated and Programs all moved over ect" Will MS servers care about what c drive i am trying to make work with it OR just see the key for that M/B and box with its own hardware and Key and OK it similar to what you have already answered.... Basically the H/D will be problematic but the servers will confirm the key and hardware and be happy and not pay any attention to what drives i have in it except for their "count" of small hardware change but not enough to stop activation?
Moving a drive+OS to a new motherboard....that is a different motherboard.
Even if identical, it is a diff serial number. And will require licensing activation.

Assuming not OEM, you should be able to do it.
A preinstalled OEM license is linked to that original motherboard. You'd have to jump through many more hoops to get it activated in the new system.

Now...this only refers to identical motherboards.
But if they are 2 identical systems...why would you do this?

If you're trying to move that drive+OS to a whole different model...then actual operational issues arise.

Licensing/activation and Operation are two different things.

Tim042

Reputable
Sep 10, 2020
Sorry, i asking in case my current computer fails as they all do at some point. i will edit my question to say this. I was intending to swap over from win 10 to win 10 of course and new computer has its own key and i thought the servers would only pay attention to the M/B hardware and key on THAT box. not the H/D i swapped over although it would have a copy of the old computer key but i though the servers dont read the data on the drive but read the serial number on the drive and not conflict? So you are saying it will see the diff c drive to the one i used to activate it earlier and conflict even if the M/B and key are together for that box?

USAFRet

Titan
Sorry, i asking in case my current computer fails as they all do at some point. i will edit my question to say this. I was intending to swap over from win 10 to win 10 of course and new computer has its own key and i thought the servers would only pay attention to the M/B hardware and key on THAT box. not the H/D i swapped over although it would have a copy of the old computer key but i though the servers dont read the data on the drive but read the serial number on the drive and not conflict? So you are saying it will see the diff c drive to the one i used to activate it earlier and conflict even if the M/B and key are together for that box?
If PC A fails, simply install your desired applications on PC B and transfer your personal data from your backup.

Trying to move the actual drive+OS to a different PC is far too much work.
Even if they are the 'same system'. And you would almost never have a spare actually identical system just sitting around, waiting for the main system to fail.

Tim042

Reputable
Sep 10, 2020
If PC A fails, simply install your desired applications on PC B and transfer your personal data from your backup.

Trying to move the actual drive+OS to a different PC is far too much work.
Even if they are the 'same system'. And you would almost never have a spare actually identical system just sitting around, waiting for the main system to fail.
Yeah i have done the full "program transfer" Program before but you need paid software and theres a lot steps and heaps boxes to tick which programs ect you want to move over,, I just thought old drive might work ok in same machine but it will conflict it seems even when PC B has its own key. I sometimes use a c drive to temp quickly test (not activate) a laptop or other desktop to see if video, sound ect working. Sometimes the drive will work smoothly, other times its very "Vista!" haha and jams and driver conflicts errors but thats to be expected as the hardware is all diff and manufacturer. I though exactly the same pc to pc might work but the activation wont work with diff drive? as you said.

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah i have done the full "program transfer" Program before but you need paid software and theres a lot steps and heaps boxes to tick which programs ect you want to move over,, I just thought old drive might work ok in same machine but it will conflict it seems even when PC B has its own key. I sometimes use a c drive to temp quickly test (not activate) a laptop or other desktop to see if video, sound ect working. Sometimes the drive will work smoothly, other times its very "Vista!" haha and jams and driver conflicts errors but thats to be expected as the hardware is all diff and manufacturer. I though exactly the same pc to pc might work but the activation wont work with diff drive? as you said.
Not even "program transfer".

A simple new Install of whatever you wish on the new system.

But to your question...
OS ABC is linked to System XYZ.

Moving ABC to a different system has issues. Some can be resolved, some cannot.