Status
Not open for further replies.

bluerotkev

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
I've acquired the following CPU for not a lot of money and after some hardware tweaking and a little help from the Forum I've got the temperature down from a "Dangerous" 81°C to a much healthier 56°C on full load.

The only thing is, what CPU is it? It was sold to me as a Q9100 yet this is an Extreme CPU. Its Quad core, has a base of 2.26GHz but seems to turbo up to 2.51GHz when put under decent pressure. Its not an Extreme Quad QX9300 and with 5 different programs trying to decipher its name I'm stumped. When I go to Intel to recognise my CPU it has no idea. XTU can't recognise my CPU Platform and cpu-world.com doesn't have a QX9100 listed. Anyone any ideas?

screengrab4.jpg

screengrab3-1.jpg

Nei

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
What you've got there is an engineering sample, not a production processor. As such it uses generic name - hence the plain Intel Core™2 Extreme designation. On the plus side, engineering sample will usually produces better performances (Since it usually need to excel at benchmarks and performance tests) on the minus side - it may have issues with energy usage and thermal issues (which you've dealt with)

If you felt that you've been cheated/tricked by the one whom you purchased the processor you may request a refund or a replacement processor.

bluerotkev

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
So after reading your answer and doing a bit more google searching now I know, I've read that people have spoke to/reported it to Intel and had it replaced for their trouble!

Now I'm not sure what to do, it seems I have some unlocked hybrid cross breed QX9100 that hits 2.5GHz, the only problem is I can't OC it with Intels XTU. Are there any other tools?

Nei

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
You can try using ClockGEN but be warned - that tool is old but should still support C2D processors.

If possible, request a replacement for a new equivalent processor. Hopefully that one will be compatible with the XTU utility.

bluerotkev

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
ClockGEN doesn't want to read my clocks, however if it helps anyone with an older BIOS with a Quad Core and they can't adjust as such, the best options are

1) XTU Extreme Tuning Utility. If you can't get this to work then try

2) ThrottleStop. This is the only software I can get to "fettle" with my multipliers and as it turns out my purchase wasn't in vain. Managed a 2.91GHz OC at 11.0 x 266MHz but not very stable. Prime95 stable was a 2.793GHz at 10.5 x 266MHz.

Just as a side note, the VID is at 1.1625 is it worth notching it up to 1.1750 as I haven't even touched these yet!

Finally WEI is now showing as 7.2 for CPU and RAM!!

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Are there any BIOS updates available for the laptop?
If you're able to increase a notch.. I think it would be worth it, you'll def get a few MHz from that.

Now... if only I could find an engineering sample of the 920xm :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.