What is turbo boost actually? Should I turn it on?

yourilevoye

Reputable
Jan 6, 2017
So I have a intel i5 6600K on the Asus z170 pro gaming. My cpu is cooled by the Cooler Master Hyper tx3 Evo. I know there is a turbo option on the cpu I have, but is it comparable to overclocking? Can I safely turn the option on?

Solution
The only reason to turn Turbo Boost off is to lower temperatures. The power vs frequency plot is not linear. As the CPU runs at higher frequencies, the power consumption (and heat production) increases disproportionately. So if, say, you want your laptop to run cooler and the battery to last longer, turning off Turbo Boost may help.

On a desktop though, and especially a K processor (which people buy specifically so they can overclock), there's really no reason to turn it off.

ThomasKK

Reputable
May 1, 2016
Yep, leave turbo always on! Turbo boost is set by manufacturers so it's 100% safe.

Explanation here: https://youtu.be/H4ryOzIZvpQ?t=1m57s

Basically, Turbo boost is the speed one core can run at (For those apps that need more single-core performance). Overclock is making all cores run faster.

With such combination of items you may overclock your cpu way more than it's turbo boost speed.

yourilevoye

Reputable
Jan 6, 2017

So I just have to simply turn on cpu turbo frequency in my bios and then I am done? No volt freqeuncy things or something else?

Max1s

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Yes, just turn on Intel Turbo Boost and leave all the setting default.

Typically when people talk about overclocking an Intel K-type CPU, they are is raising the maximum turbo speed (multiplier) and then increasing the voltage to keep it stable.

ThomasKK

Reputable
May 1, 2016
^^ what he said. Intel turbo boost is set/created by manufacturer and does not need any additional tweaking, just turn it on. I don't even know why was it disabled, it should be enabled out-of-the-box from the first day.

The only reason to turn Turbo Boost off is to lower temperatures. The power vs frequency plot is not linear. As the CPU runs at higher frequencies, the power consumption (and heat production) increases disproportionately. So if, say, you want your laptop to run cooler and the battery to last longer, turning off Turbo Boost may help.

On a desktop though, and especially a K processor (which people buy specifically so they can overclock), there's really no reason to turn it off.

Solution