What Is Windows 10X: Microsoft's Folding PC OS Explained

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
It would be perfect if you can make phone calls with it. Actually, I think you can just setup Skype. Now I won't need to replace my Windows phone with an Android or iOS device.
=( looks like the duo is running android.

Last edited:

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Okay, what am I missing here. I've had a dual screen setup at work and at home for years using windows 7, 8, and 10. I can use them as one big display or as separate displays; the settings are already built into windows. Just because a handheld device has dual screens, why should it be any different and require a new operating system? Thought experiment: build a modded system with connected fold-able displays and tiny hardware to run windows 10. Windows would be none the wiser. Or Is it a new OS required simply to support 2 touchscreens?

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
I think the new OS is because Microsoft would want to do more with these small form factor dual displays. Something like changing displays when folded at certain angles and when its connected to a keyboard.

D

Deleted member 14196

It’s a strip down version that is optimized for running on tablets. Apple does the same thing it’s not the same OS that runs on the PC as the tablets. It’s based on windows core

delazaren

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Okay, what am I missing here. I've had a dual screen setup at work and at home for years using windows 7, 8, and 10. I can use them as one big display or as separate displays; the settings are already built into windows.

what do you mean "one big display" this doesn't work by default since the time of, I think, WinXP. AFAIK only some video cards support it as an extra feature. What I mean is this: in XP you could set the monitors as extended (as you can now) but with a nice twist. The extended diplay appeared to the OS as one single screen resolution. So if you had two 1600x1200 monitors the actual resultion that the OS, and therefore the applications, would see was 3200x1200. This was a great feature as you could maximise a program on both screens and the program would "think" that it was running on a single higher resolution monitor.

g-unit1111

Titan
I am curious to see what a dual screen folding PC could do but at the same time I also don't see the point. There's some cool things happening with folding screen phones like the Galaxy Fold and the new Motorola Razr. But I don't know if this tech could translate anywhere else. A virtual keyboard is definitely not the same as a real keyboard. It may work on a phone but would not translate to a laptop or a desktop, unless there's other applications for this technology.

ThatMouse

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2014
Microsoft has terrible multiple display support, relying mainly on your graphics card driver, not Windows! Only in the last few years has Microsoft gave SOME thought to the idea that someone might plug a projector or 2nd monitor in, and even then you have to search for the display settings that tell it to mirror or extend. 3rd party apps are still king in this space, Ask anyone who has 3 monitors all starting up and being detected at different times, apps moving or opening up in the wrong screen, and even video stutter issues when trying to play netflix on one of your monitors.