What is wrong with my computer right now??

Ethankid

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
About two weeks ago I went to my local Best Buy and got the EVGA GTX 970 SSC Edition. I got home, got it all installed and everything, and its been good until last night. I was playing Evolve for about 2 hours until my whole computer just shut down completely and booted back up a minute later like nothing happened. After that I just shut off my computer and went to bed because I wasn't gonna deal with that. So I wake up this morning and turn on my computer...the computer starts up but my keyboard/mouse doesn't get any power and my monitor doesn't get a signal. I then proceeded to push the reset button and everything was fine. THEN, I downloaded Total War: Rome II (because its free this weekend) and started it up. My GPU was making this weird sound that I can't really explain, even though it did stop for a bit then come back. Once I got in game, the graphics were HORRIBLE. It was 1080p but my god was the quality bad. I looked at the settings and everything was on "ultra" running at 30 fps. I thought to myself, "this is weird.." So to test something I started up Evolve, and well, I encountered the same thing. Before the "crash" I was at 1080 60 fps maxed out. Now the game said it was 1080p maxed out (clearly did NOT look like it) at like 30 fps. It's like my card is handicapped or something. So I then proceeded to restart my computer and now everything turns on but nothing happens at all. No signal, no power to mouse/keyboard, etc. Is it my gpu? Did my power supply die on me? I don't know.

(Sorry for the long post, this was the only way I could really explain what's wrong)

Specs:
F3-8350 @ 4ghz
H100i
Mobo; MSI 970 Gaming
GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Ram: 8 GB
WD 1TB HDD
Corsair 450D case

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Easiest thing for you to check would be the GPU, you should phone up best buy and tell them the GPU you recently bought is defective. They should have their in-store warranty still covering the product, so you should be able to just drive in, replace it and drive back home again.