Question What is wrong with my I9 CPU?

rexhavit

Reputable
May 13, 2018
I bought my CPU the moment I9's were first released. I didn't mind paying Intel a ghastly amount of money for it. So my CPU is first run, first generation I9 7920x CPU @ 2.90 ghz. The first problem I have is the ram count. No matter what ram I put in it it never shows the full ram.

I have tried x299 motherboards from three different manufacturers and the problem persists.

No matter what ram amount I put in, it always shows less ram. If I put 128gb it shows 96
If I put 64gb it shows 48gb if i put 32gb in it shows 16gb
Each time I would change the motherboard to a new manufacturer I would reinstall windows 10 and the problem persists.

Now it is running Windows 11 stable through many updates and it is still the same problem.

It is like the CPU does not like any ram type. I have tried ram from various manufacturers and the same exact thing happens.

And then there is the BSOD, it inadvertently likes to shut off especially after a restart.
And then there is the problem with intel turbo. I have tried to get rid of it I know that was causing my PC to crash at one point but I wonder if it is still somehow there even though I have reinstalled Windows fresh. I think by default Windows now shuts turbo off. Turbo made my computer crash from day one. I have tried many chipset configurations as well as checking all drivers.

I have considered just getting a new Intel CPU but I am so flustered by this one not working with ram I don't want to have another chip that has such narrow ram compatibility. I have always been an intel CPU fan but my AMD 7 will detect any kind of ram I put in it from any manufacturer and any amount is accurate. Like it works with any and all ram types even if I mix types.

I would prefer to just buy another INTEL CPU but I have lost trust in them due to the problems, and I paid over 1000 dollars for this CPU. Considering I have changed everything except the CPU and assembled the computer with just bare bones devices and still had the same problem, I am quite certain the problem is not software but it is the Intel CPU. I am certain there are no bent pins on the CPU as well. I have updated bios's on three different x299 motherboards and it has the exact same problem with the full ram amount not detecting and frequent BSOD.

When I use a 3Dd modeler program and try and move geometry the geometry is sluggish on the INTEL machine like the ram is not right. On my 7th gen AMD 8 core chip the geometry is smooth. Like the ram on the intel CPU is not only not showing up fully but it is also full of faults to the extent that it occasionally goes BSOD.
I am not sure which Intel generation I would need to go to where the chip might be compatible with every kind of ram like my AMD rig.

I don't want to spend a fortune like I did before for something that has been plagued with constant errors since day 1. The problem is I am running two Nvidia 3090s in my AMD rig and it runs perfectly but it has a 3 slot setup for NVLINK while my Intel board has a 4 slot configuration. The 7thgen AMD has 8 cores with 16 threads while the Intel has 12 cores and 24 threads but the Intel CPU has a ton of problems. Besides Windows 11 complained for a long time before it allowed itself to be installed on my Intel machine. And Google is to the best of my knowledge completely silent on this particular Intel CPU problem.

My I9 board is PCIE version 3 and the intel CPU has 44 lanes. The AMD CPU is PCIE 4 but has fewer lanes. I would like a 4 slot setup so the cards are farther apart and thus the top card is cooler, more lanes and more cores. The intel motherboard has 8 RAM slots while the AMD board has only 4. ...and yes I am sure I placed the ram in the Intel board in the right slots. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

I have tried to disable drivers and plug in only a few devices i.e. mouse, keyboard and various graphics cards. Still no luck. I have 8 x 3200 mhz ram chips @ 128gb I would like to use them and all AMD boards only have 4 that i have seen and my intel PC is a full tower big enough for a large motherboard. This has been a mess for a long time I wish I could figure out what is wrong here.

I bought the ram on the intel compatibility chart and it still had the same problem. I tried several different kinds of ram with no luck, and all of them instead worked on my AMD setup. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
memory controller is on CPU, mainboard compatibility might have some effect, but since you have tested multiple mainboards/ram modules, then only memory controller remains
and all AMD boards only have 4 that i have seen
you will need to look at threadripper or epyc mainboards to see more than 4 ram slots on AMD, intel has its own different chipsets/mainboards for workstation/server CPUs aswell

for amd its those chipsets:
X399
TRX40
WRX80

rexhavit

Reputable
May 13, 2018
Thank you kerberos_20 for the very helpful reply.
This is why I don't trust another Intel cpu. In the past Intel was the only CPU I would own... I don't want to spend a thousand dollars for another flashy processor with another memory controller disaster. I didn't mind paying more for Intel but getting something that is unusable leaves me hesitant now. The memory controller on my CPU chip simply does not work right. A thousand dollar loss not to mention buying several ram brands and motherboards to try and fix the issue... Only to find out it has been the CPU chip all along. Intel once liked some artwork I did and sent me a free motherboard and chip. So I truly have a sweet spot for Intel. I may try the Intel road again someday but I am still getting over this major disappointment. My Intel machine I use as a steaming computer because it is useless as a workstation. When I wake it up it is always sitting at the motherboard boot screen due to a BSOD event. At best it is only intermittently stable.

Last edited: